Chapter 1

The darkness shrouds the stone torrents, snow covered courtyards, and glass windows. No matter though, the lanterns of the giants illuminate the rough cobblestone road. Their footsteps cause trees to tremble and stone walls to shudder, shaking off their blankets of snow. Up ahead in one of the highest towers a pale face pears out at the cold night.

Sophia hugs the course blanket tighter around her shoulders. The fireplace burns low, its weak glow casts a strange orange color lighting up her pale skin. She shivers and her chocolate brown hair ripples, reflecting the light of the fire. She knows what is about to happen and the fear is overwhelming. A single, glimmering tear runs down her cheek and splatters on the floor.

The great hall is quiet and dark. Only a handful of candles light the massive room. At one end huge oak doors rise into darkness. On the other an ornate throne holds a fallen king. His hands cover his face and his shoulders shake as his sobs echo softly off the stone walls. So this is what it has come to, his only daughter being given to the giants as a peace treaty? What will become of his beloved Sophia? A meal, a pet, a skeleton forgotten in a dungeon? His only daughter given like nothing more than an animal to the monsters who threaten his people with slavery and death. But there was nothing else he could do. This is the only way to save his kingdom. He sits there drowning in his own thoughts and regrets.

Upstairs in the royal bed chamber the queen cries softly into her pillow. If only she would have said something when the deal was made. Then maybe her daughter wouldn't be gone within a few moments. If only...