Chapter one

Katniss POV

Blood. Blood is all I can see. I try to move but I am unable to because of the fire that is taking over my body. Everything that has led me to this moment flashes in my mind. My eyes are starting to get heavy. So I don't fight it. I close my eyes. And everything is dark.

I awake in chains. Confused I try to stand up but my chained feet are not letting me. I look around not seeing anything. There is a slight lighting coming from the hallway. I look at my hands. The shade of red I am all to familiar with runs down my wrists and unto my hands.

Where is Coin? Didn't we win?

I hear a whimpering coming from the corner. I turn my head to see Peeta huddled up in the corner. He's holding his head as he sobs.

"Peeta?" I choke out. He looks up and wipes his tears. His blonde hair falls in his face. His blue eyes red from all the crying, I think.

"We.. didn't win.." He mumbles.

"What?" I cry.

"The bombs..where Coins, after that Coin was captured by Snow's peacekeepers, and they captured most of the rebels."

After everything I will still die.

"Prim?" I cry. He tenses up and looks down, making a sobbing noise. "Prim?" I repeat trying to hold in my tears. He looks up at me.

"She's in a better place now Katniss."

I burst out crying.

Prim. The only person I was certain I loved. My little duck. Is dead. After everything I did to save her.

I look up. Coin did this. I look at him.

"I am so sorry Katniss." He whimpers. I nod.

After hours I finally speak up.

"So how long have was I out?"

"Well.. When I found you, I put your flames out, I was running with you as peackeepers chased me, I saw a car with the rebels getting in, they were yelling at me to hurry, but with my leg I was slow. I tripped and the car fled the scene, some people screaming at the driver to save us, but they kept going. I laid on the ground helpless as they took you from my arms. I screamed at them. But then one of them kicked me in the head and I woke up here, I woke up a couple of days ago, so maybe a week."

Peeta starts to sob again and I crawl over to him. I place my hand on his chin and lift it so that he's looking at me. His blue eyes are back to normal.

"They cured me." He cries.

"What?"

"They cured my hijacking so that I could remember everything and experience everything they do to you." He cries. "I am so sorry for what I did to you." He says as if he had killed me.

"No, no Peeta don't apologize it wasn't you."

I look into his eyes. I lean in and our lips connect. His lips still taste of him, cinnamon and sweet bread. I don't want to let go, but I do.

I let go and Peeta's holding back tears.

"I don't think that we will have much time left, but I love you." I blurt out.

He looks up shocked.

"Really?"

"My heart knew but I didn't, I am so sorry."

This is the worst time for me to tell him.

I am dragged down a dark hallway into what looks like a shower area, there I see Johanna, Annie and Cressida.

I am stripped of my white jumpsuit. They chain me to the wall along with all the other girls.

The water turns on and its burning against my red skin. I let out a scream and they turn it up hotter.

Annie is sobbing and calling Finnick's name.

Johanna is sobbing because of what she went through before.

After a hour it stops, I am completely burned.

I am then taken to Snow's office. I am left alone with him, in hand cuffs. He looks at me, in a red suit, representing victory. His white hair combed back. He smiles at me.

"Ah, Miss. Everdeen, how far we've come."

"Snow." I say looking away.

"Now Miss. Everdeen how are you enjoying your stay in the Capitol? I'm sure Peeta could show you the ropes." 

"Don't talk about him, you know what you did to him."

"I know." He says smiling. "He's a lovely boy, and it was sad that it had to come to that, but it had to be done."

"No it didn't, you just cured him!"

"I'm aware but him being insane sure did put a slow on you." 

After a moment a few moments of silence I speak up.

"Don't hurt him." 

"Who?" He asks smiling.

"You know who." I respond.

"Peeta, is going to serve the same punishment as every other rebel."

"Which is?"

"Since the Capitol is repairing from the war we are in need of extra money.."

"And?"

"We will be selling the victors to anyone who wants them for whatever amount of time they please."

I freeze. Almost every victor was a victim of this but Peeta and I. I was only safe because I had Peeta and he had me.

"Please no.." I cry. He looks at me.

"I am sorry it ended up this way Miss.Everdeen." He sighs and I am dragged out.

"So we are going to get sold?"

"Yes." I cry.

"We are going to get separated." He says. "We may never see each other again."

What did I do to deserve this life?

I am now sitting in the torture chamber. My head leaned on Peeta. The peacekeepers throw Gale in.

Gale. He. Killed. Prim.

Gale looks at me. I look away.

The doctor comes in and puts this bands around our heads.

I cry and hide myself in Peeta's shirt. He's stroking my hair. Suddenly I am getting shocked, bad. I cry and cry.

Please let Peeta die right here, so he will be safe, away from everything.

I black out.

I awake in back in my cell, Peeta asleep. I don't want Peeta to have to go through what I and the other victors have to. I stand up and walk over to where he is asleep against the wall. I stand in front of him taking in his figure. His head leaned on his left shoulder. His hands rests on his knees. I am going to save him. My mind is telling me thousands of different things, do it, don't do it. Save the person you love before it's to late. I stand above him looking at his figure in the dim light. His blonde hair in his face. Everything we went through to get to this moment flashes through my mind. Save him. Save him. Let him fly free. I bend down in front of the boy I love and place my hands on his throat.
I look away, and begin to choke him.