25- Happiness Comes in the Form of Bubble Tea

I don't like this chapter. I'm a happy person so this is very depressing for me and there's no Garrett in it.        :( This was just as hard to write as the last couple so it's not very good. 

Chapter Twenty Five:

Happiness Comes in the Form of Bubble Tea:

The moment I stepped out the back door, I saw him. Garrett was on the opposite side of the street just closing his front door. I stopped when I saw him, unsure of what to do or what would happen.

I hadn’t spoken to him since he left with Maddy last night. I had debated texting him or calling him several times, but I decided against it. I was doing what Dustin had suggested and giving Garrett time to cool down. I just wished he would hurry up.

Garrett’s eyes met mine. It looked like he would cross the street and everything would be normal; he even took one step in my direction. And he kept walking towards me. His eyes stayed connected with mine the entire time and hope started to grow within me. A smile played at my lips as I walked down the back steps to the road, Garrett had forgiven me.

But then Garrett turned suddenly and started walking down the street. He walked towards school, without me.

All hopes I had had were violently crushed under guilt. He was still mad at me, nothing had changed since he left yesterday.

Resignedly, I followed Garrett. I stared at his back and willed him to turn around and acknowledge me, but he never did. Before I had even reached the end of the street, Garrett had used his freakishly long legs to put a couple blocks’ distance between us. If I didn’t know it was him far ahead of me, I wouldn’t have been able to tell.

“Hey,” Quinn said jumping up from the random parking block she had been sitting on. She slipped her phone into her pocket as she fell into step next to me, then looked at me properly. “Where’s your puppy?”

I looked away from Quinn. “We’re on a break right now,” I mumbled. But Quinn still understood it.

When I looked back at her I saw that her mouth had opened into a small ‘O’ and her eyes seemed to be bugging out. When she noticed I was looking at her she quickly composed herself and rearranged her face to resemble pity.

“Oh no, what happened?”

“Well, I was all spacey yesterday, and after you told me you were busy at lunch, I went to find Garrett. I found Dustin instead and I kind of accidently kissed him.”

Quinn’s eyes bugged out again. “You what?”

“I didn’t mean to!” I said holding out my hands helplessly. “I went to kiss his cheek but he moved.”

Quinn shook her head. “I can't believe it. In one week I find out you’re BFF’s with Garrett-freaking-Connors, then you start dating said god and then you kiss his best friend.” Quinn paused and shook her head. Everything she was saying was just making me feel guiltier.

“Wow, I’m proud of you Bridge.” Quinn punched my arm lightly. “Finally cracking that shy shell.”

“Well this isn’t how I want to do it,” I pointed out.

“So? It’s still happening.”

“You didn’t see Garrett’s face yesterday after he caught Dustin and I. I don’t care if I’m ‘cracking my shy shell’, it hurt Garrett a lot. I’m not going to be happy about it.”

Quinn was silent after my short outburst.

“You’d never believe who Matt brought home last night…” Quinn then launched into a story about her older brother, Matt, that cleared away the tension in the air.