41- Emergencies

Chapter Forty One:

Emergencies:

Even though I could have slept in, I was up at usual time Thursday morning. It’s hard to break habit. I tried to take my time showering and getting dressed, but I was still downstairs only ten minutes after I usually was.

“Morning Ashley,” I said once I reached the bottom of the stairs. Ashley was curled up in a blanket on the couch, watching TV.

“Oh, morning,” she replied, jumping slightly. “I thought you would sleep in longer.”

I shook my head. “I tried, but it didn’t work. Why aren’t you sleeping? You were up early to take Gare to the airport.”

“Actually, Dustin’s mom took them. I’m picking up the two of them on Monday.”

I nodded. “Makes sense.”

I turned to go to the kitchen then thought about one more thing.

“So has Will already left?”

Ashley nodded. “Just a minute before you came down.”

“Oh, okay,” I said.

I left Ashley to watch TV, and crutched my way to the kitchen. I’d gotten myself a bowl of cereal and was sitting down at the table when I noticed my phone sitting in the middle of the table. That wasn’t unusual, I always left my phone lying around since I didn’t use it very often. What caught my attention was the folded piece of paper tucked under it.

I moved my phone to get to it, causing the screen to light up in the process. I noticed I had a missed call from home and a voicemail, but decided to call them back later since I wasn’t sure if they were still at home now.

I unfolded the paper and saw that it was lined with Garrett’s thin scrawl.

‘I’m off to California, just like you told me to! You lost your chance to get me to stay, so you’re just going to have to deal with being lonely! I’ll see you when I get back, Pigtails.

Don’t miss me too much!

-Garrett’

I smiled at his dramatics and then slipped the note into my pocket.

When I finished my cereal, I started to check my voicemail. But before I had accessed it, the front door opened.

I waited a moment to see who it was, they would probably walk past the opening to the kitchen. And sure enough, a second later, Alice came bounding into the room, caught sight of me and gave me a hug.

“Bridgey!” she said. She squeezed me into a hug like she hadn’t seen me for days even though I had seen her at dinner last night.

“Morning Cutie,” I said.

She didn’t reply, just stayed curled up on my lap.

“Hello Bridget,” Mom said, entering the kitchen with Ashley next to her.

“Morning,” I said with a nod.

“You’ll be happy to know that tonight you can sleep in your own bed again!” Mom chirped. “Your dad has the window people coming at two. Do you think you could be home then to let them in so they can work?”

“Yeah of course, I have nothing better to do,” I said with a shrug.

“Okay, great,” Mom said with a nod. “Well I got to head out to work, so I’ll see you girls at home later.” She kissed both our foreheads then made her way back to the front door.