Part 15

Karma POV

Nagisa leaving hurt, which made no sense cause we can text and see each other at school soon. It's not like this is for good. And it's not like me to be this attached to anyone...especially after my parents, but I want to hold Nagisa and never let him go.

I'm pretty sure his mom is abusing him too, which makes it even harder for me to watch him walk out my door. I want to protect him from all the bad things and pain that he must've had to endure. These protective desires weren't going away- in fact I'm pretty sure they have gotten stronger since we got together.

I stand up and walk inside my now empty hours. It felt like a home with Nagisa. We cooked and ate breakfast together.  Like a family. I haven't had one of those in a while- not since Uncle Takashi. But he is long gone.

I quickly push the thoughts of him or of my mind and think of what I can do today. Nagisa will be busy all day and school isn't until tomorrow. I could always see if I can track down the guys that hurt him yesterday, I'm sure they have done it before,  but I will probably see them during the walk to school tomorrow, so there is no pressing need to find them.

Maybe I will just go visit my uncle. It's been a while.

Nagisa POV

I run home as fast as I can, hoping my mom wouldn't be too mad. Or that she is finally better, back to her normal self. But is that really what I want? For her to go back to being ditzy, and having to take care of her. Reminding her to eat and cleaning up after her until what? When does it end? When she dies? When I die? When CPS takes me away again? Is that really how I want to live my life? Do I have a choice?

I walk into my apartment and see shattered glass all over the floor and my mother leaning on the couch, looking around confused.

"Mom, what happened?" I step toward her being mindful of the glass and see shards sticking out of her feet. I gasp and walk faster.

I bend down and look at her, "What happened? Why is there glass all over the floor?"

"I-I don't know. I just woke up here and there was glass everywhere and I stepped in some, so I sat down and lost track of time."

"Mother, I need you to stay right here while I clean up the glass and then I will get the glass out of your feet okay?"

She nods and I go to the kitchen to get the broom and see food all over the place. On the cabinets and the floors and the counters. I will have to clean this up next.

I begin sweeping up all the glass and my mother sits where I told her to and looks at me clean up what was probably her mess, in a fit of rage from when I didn't come home last night. After I finish with the glass I kneel in front of my mother's feet and pick all the glass out of her feet slowly. She doesn't seem to feel anything as she stares at me, barely blinking. Completely focused on what I'm doing.

When I finish, I bandage her feet after cleaning the wounds and help her up. I slowly walk her to her bedroom. I lay her down on her bed, pull the covers over her, and kiss her forehead.

"You'll make a good wife, you know? Your so good at taking care of me, you'll make a great wife." She says sleepily before closing her eyes and falling asleep.

A good wife. A good wife. A good wife.

I would make a good wife. She trained me for it my whole life. How to cook and clean. How to take care of other. How to please my husband to the best of my ability. She taught me it all. Im crap at school. A wife is the one profession I know I  would be good at cause it's the only thing I'm really good at. The only thing I really know.

My phone cuts off my internal rant, which is good cause I don't think those thoughts are gonna do me any good.

I look at my phone and see a text from Karma.

'Hey hope your day was good. See you tomorrow at school. Love you- K'

This single text seemed to wipe away all the thoughts that I had before. I just kept re-reading it over and over. He always seems to know the right time to say stuff, stuff that makes me wanna try harder. Try to be something other than a 'good wife'. Something that Karma would be proud to call his.

'Thank you I had a good day. Can't wait. Love you too- N'

I quickly type my reply and stare at my phone for about a minute until I remember I have something to do. I still have to clean the kitchen before I go to sleep. I throw my phone into my bed and race to the kitchen. I find the mop and cleaning supplies in the linen closet and get to work on the floors, humming the opening to an anime as I work.

When I finish my work on the floor, I move to the counters. There is dried food stuck there and crumbs all or the place. It makes me wonder what she was trying to do when she did this. But, despite my worries, I finish the counters and cabinets fairly quickly. I step back to admire my work.

With a nod to myself, I walk back to my room and change into my pajamas. I flop onto the bed and burrow under the covers and let sleep pull me under.