Chapter 7: The Truth of Their Ancestors

At the end of the song, Moana pulled the sail, making her go a little faster and jolt forward. She fixed herself as she looked at her pig friend.

"We're okay, Pua," she assured; then told herself, "I can do this. There's more fish beyond the reef. There's more beyond the reef."

She pulled the sail again and they went over the first current with ease.

"Not so bad," Moana smirked.

Then the sail jerked to the side and another current came up. Moana made it, but she found Pua fell in the water, squealing for help.

"Pua!" she yelled.

She tried to paddle over to save him, but another current came and knocked the boat and Moana over. She swam to Pua and made it to the surface. But then Moana was pulled back under the water and the currents kept coming, which prevented her from going to the surface. Her foot got stuck in the coral, so she looked around until she found a rock, grabbed it, and destroyed the coral. She made it to the surface then to the shore line. She gasped for air as she looked at Pua, who ran from the boat. She sat up to see her bruised right foot from the coral and sighed.

"What ever just happened, blame it on the pig," Tala replied, making Moana jump a little.

"Gramma..." she answered.

She scrambled to her feet and hid the bruise on her foot. But Tala lifted that foot with her cane to get a better look at it.

"Are you gonna tell dad?" Moana asked nervously.

"I'm his mom. I don't have to tell him anything," Tala smirked.

Moana smiled then frowned as she looked out on the ocean.

"He was right. About going out there. And I don't even know if Kimi is alive. It's time to put my stone on the mountain," she said, now facing the mountain.

Tala looked at her then responded, "Okay. Well, then head on back. Put that stone up there."

She went into the water and danced with the manta rays as Moana looked at her, confused.

"Why aren't you trying to talk me out of it?" Moana asked.

"You said that's what you wanted," Tala answered.

"It is," Moana said.

She walked toward the village until Tala stated, "When I die, I'm going to come back as one of these. Or I chose the wrong tattoo."

"Why are you acting weird?" Moana asked.

"I'm the village crazy lady. That's my job," Tala answered.

"If there's something you want to tell me, just tell me," Moana replied then asked, "Is there something you want to tell me?"

"Is there something you want to hear?" Tala asked.

Moana seemed really confused until Tala led her to a secret part of Montunui.

"You've been told all our people's stories but one," Tala told her as she approached some vines.

"What is this place?" Moana asked.

"Do you really think our ancestors stayed within the reef?" Tala replied.

She moved the vines to reveal rocks stacked on top of each other. She moved them out of the way and felt a breeze come from inside.

"What's in there?" Moana wondered.

"The answer to the question you keep asking yourself. And Kimi did as well. Who are you meant to be? Go inside, bang the drum, and find out," Tala explained.

Moana obeyed and saw different canoes and boats. She even got on one to see how it would feel. Then she saw the largest one and walked on it to see two sticks.

"Bang the drum," Moana repeated what Tala told her.

She obeyed, but nothing happened the first time. But the second time, she got a response. The third time made the torches light up and Moana felt as if she traveled through time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N So what is Moana about to discover?