Chapter 9: Tala's Death and the Start of Moana's Journey

Tui stormed out of the hut as Moana followed him.

"You told me to help our people. This is how we can help our people," she said.

He then grabbed a lit torch.

"Dad. What are you doing?" Moana asked.

"I should've burned those boats a long time ago," Tui growled.

"No! Don't! We have to find Maui and Kimi! We have to restore the heart!" Moana exclaimed.

"There is no heart! This...this is just a rock! And Kimi is dead! When will you accept that?!" Tui shouted as he grabbed the heart and threw it into the dirt.

"No!" Moana yelled.

She ran towards the heart and found it. But she also found her grandmother's cane. Tui saw it too and then a horn sounded.

"Chief! It's your mother!" a villager called.

Both father and daughter gasped then ran towards the hut Tala was in. They ran inside to see Sina sitting beside Tala, who was lying down and breathing heavily.

"Mother," Tui whispered.

They all knelt down to her level until Tui asked the villagers what they could do to help her. Tala placed her hand on Moana's, which grasped her attention.

"Go," Tala whispered weakly.

"Gramma?" Moana asked.

She leaned closer to her to hear her better.

"Go," Tala repeated.

"Not now. I can't," Moana cried.

"You must. The ocean chose you and your sister. Follow the fish hook," Tala replied.

"Gramma," Moana said.

"And when you find Maui, you grab him by the ear. You say... 'I am Moana of Motunui. You will board my boat, sail across the sea, and restore the heart of Te Fiti.' And once you find your sister, give her this and tell her I love her," Tala instructed, handing her her necklace with the heart of Te Fiti and another necklace that looked like different reflections of water.

"I-- I can't leave you," Moana sobbed as Tala placed her hand on her youngest granddaughter's cheek.

"There is nowhere you could go that I won't be with you," Tala whispered, placing her forehead to Moana's.

Moana then got up and looked at both necklaces as she backed away towards the entrance, breathing heavily.

"Go," Tala whispered.

Moana realized that she had to, so she put her necklace around her neck and ran home to pack up.

Moana:
There's a line where the sky meets the sea and it calls me
But no one knows how far it goes
All the time wondering where I need to be is behind me
I'm on my own, to worlds unknown

She said good-bye to her mother and set sail on one of the canoes in the cave.

Every turn I take, every trail I track
Is a choice I make, now I can't turn back
From the great unknown, where I go alone, where I long to be

As Moana set sail, she saw that the lights of the hut where her grandmother was went out. This meant that she passed away. But she regained hope when a glowing manta ray appeared and followed her.

See her light up the night in the sea, she calls me
And yes, I know, that I can go
There's a moon in the sky and the wind is behind me
Soon I'll know, how far I'll go

She made it past the reef and set off to find Maui and her older sister.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N Moana is off on an amazing adventure. She won't do it alone though.