h o r i z o n

❝Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.❞ -Neale Donald Walsch

◽︎◾︎◽︎

"Hey, Miss Riddle!"

"Hey, Nicholas..."

"What's up?"

"I--gosh, I just love being able to call you that. It's just a name, but I already feel so much closer to you because of it. Am I crazy?"

"I wouldn't say so. It's a fine, brodacious name, Ari."

"Mmm."

"So what's up?"

"Well, Lyndsey told me today she's planning a surprise for me."

"Really?"

"Although, I mean, this is Lyndsey we're talking about. It could be dangerous."

"Any ideas what it is?"

"Well, graduation is coming up, so she said it'll be something to celebrate surviving high school before we're plunged into the abyss of college."

"Sounds promising."

"I hope so."

"So... guess what?"

"You got a customer?"

"This is what I love about you, Aria."

"What do you mean?"

"Most people would just say 'what' but you actually do try to guess. Major respect, babe, major respect."

"So... are you going to tell me, then?"

"I got a job."

"You got a job? Did you end up getting fired or something from the Fine Apple Market?"

"No, I just got a real job." 

"A 'real' job? What do you mean?"

"I've been messing with you for the past six months. Fine Apple was a joke. I really am a stalker creepzoid guy in his seventies who's keeping tabs on you."

"... I can't tell if this is sarcasm or honesty."

"Dude, the problem must be on your end if you're this unable to process my sarcasm."

"The problem is definitely on your end."

"No, it can't be, because this is a brand-new iPhone. Perks of the new job."

"Oh yeah, the 'real' job."

"Yep, the 'real' job. And no, it isn't dog-walking. Although that was a close second choice."

"I was just about to ask that."

"Nah, I'm gonna be a smoothie barista."

"... A what?"

"Smoothie barista."

"Smoothie barista? Is that someone who makes coffee-flavored smoothies? Or fruit-flavored coffee?"

"Neither. Just fruit smoothies."

"Oh." 

"Come on, Aria, how many other careers can you even think of that I would be good for?"

"I don't know. A better question may be how did you snag this one?"

"It's a really scientific thing; they want hypersensitive fruit gurus who can taste the difference between Bombay and Kensington Pride mangoes. The ability to sniff the difference was actually their preference, which is a little wild, but I still qualified. They need people who know the perfect amount of milk to add in proportion to the fruit--to the nearest millimeter. They need people who can safely identify the correct add-ins in order to conjure up the perfectly blended taste--"

"Sounds like you've found your oyster. And this one isn't on Kasika Beach."

"Pun intended? I hope that pun was intended."

"Of course it was, you goof."

"Good. I'm raising you right."

"Nicholas, the one thing I still don't get is why you'd leave Fine Apple for this. I thought Fine Apple was your 'true calling' or however you put it. I thought you'd never settle for anything else."

"Uh... yeah, I was never really honest with you about my situation, Aria, I'll just admit it. My life was never as carefree as I pretended it was. As I wished it was. As I tried to make it. Home was never perfect, but it always used to seem like the only option. I was confined to my own narrow vision. I never let myself look beyond that."

"I don't know what to say, except... I'm so happy you're finally doing something you love."

"I'm so happy you granted me that aspiration."

"What did I do, Tink?"

"You just were you, Aria. That was all I needed."

"Wait--just wait a sec."

"What?"

"If this is a romantic comedy, the cheesy dramatic pop music will start any minute now. It never fails."

"Wait--I can hear it!"

"Really?"

"'I've flown too close to the sun this time; I keep flying and I'm gonna get burned.'"

"Are you... singing?"

"You said it never fails."

"Yes, but--

" And walk by the edge of the ocean and I look to the sky and then I watch this world turn...'"

"Stop singing."

"'In this love, in this love, in this love, in this love, ohh--'"

"This is so cheesy; oh my gosh."

◽︎◾︎◽︎

a/n: guys, we are so close! just two chapters left! hang in there :)

tina