Chapter One: Outcast

Notes: This is a VERY rough draft of my story, and I'm currently closing in on chapter seven. So sit back for the long haul, folks. I would also love input, some honest critisim, and helpful reviews if you're amenable to it!

~*~

In the wilds of Missouri, a teenage girl named Samantha Rose was lonely, and full of confusion over what to do about her life. In her bedroom, she was randomly doodling on paper, when her mother stepped into her room with a stern expression on her face, looking as though she'd made her mind up about something long ago. You see, I was Samantha Rose, and my mother was a pain in my ass as well as a cold, uncaring bitch. Though I was rather young at the time, and didn't realize it until later on.

"You're going to your grandparents for a year, and if it works out-you'll stay there," My mother told me, and I blinked at her.

"I am?" I asked, doubtfully. "But-what am I supposed to do there?"

"You'll be living in the city with them," Mom said, shrugging. "You'll go to public school. I don't care what you do with your spare time." She added, staring at me. I stared back at her, my heart pounding and my pulse racing. I didn't know...

Without warning, all the reading I'd been doing finally-finally!-clicked.

I was being banished from my family because I was considered a 'disappointment'.

I swallowed, realizing that my mother hated having me at home. My sisters didn't like me at all, no wonder we were at odds every time I tried to be with them, or join them for a game. Maybe it was my looks? I was the ugly child, chubby and not very attractive at all. I had no talents, not like Gwen who was a killer artist, and Leah who could do math on the fly. I was completely left out at school-taunted and tormented, and not one single person...not even my sisters...stood up for me.

I would go to my grandparents.

"All right," I said, and mom blinked in surprise. "Um, how much should I pack?" I asked tentatively. Mom frowned.

"Two suitcases, two backpacks, and your purse," Mom said after a few moments' thoughts. "If you need extra packing, use Wal-Mart bags." She added, and I nodded understanding. Mom left after a moment, and for the first time...I found myself taking life seriously.

I looked in the mirror: I was an ugly child, and I realized I had no sense of style or flair. I had nothing to make me look even remotely attractive. I needed a style, something that I could possibly make myself look more interesting.

I was overweight. I had baggy clothes. I had worn down tennis shoes that I'd had for a year. I had no jewelry. I had no watch or any other accessories that most teens I'd seen had.

I was socially challenged-mostly due to the fact that most students teased and taunted me endlessly, and I was always hidden away reading a book of some sort. This meant also that I was painfully shy, to the point that I was could have been suicidally shy.

I didn't take my studies seriously-my grades were probably less than average because I didn't find them interesting or something that I needed to concentrate on. That would have to be rectified immediately.

I was short-perhaps if I exercised more I could grow up instead of down?

I sighed, realizing that the year ahead of me was going to be a lot of work. I shook my head, and went to my closet-I would be taking my best clothes only, and I knew that I was woefully inadequate in that department. I had very few things that fit me well, and I packed all of those, no matter how awful they looked. I wanted to at least look somewhat decent. Maybe my grandparents would give me an allowance so that I could do some much needed shopping? I perked up at that, and then turned towards the typewriter.