Chapter Eight:

Notes: Short chapter, not really happy with it. But still posting it. I'm still planning a massive edit/rewrite once this book is done. 

~*~

Samantha Rose sat with her grandmother and the other elderly ladies in a circle on the library floor. Her grandmother began to speak, her voice soft yet powerful. She was aware of the lights in the massive room slowly dimming, making the scene become an ethereal one. She clenched her hands into fists, before relaxing them in her lap. She felt safe here. She felt as though she was with family, both old and new.

"Long ago, there were those who knew shapeshifters existed. That there were women of power, women who were witches. What they did not realize is that these two things were the same, and that we have been around since the dawning of time itself." The words floated through the air, a sharp vivid noise against the still silence of the library. Sam could feel a sense of power building, and marveled at how story-telling could be such a powerful form of art. "Now, however, we are but a scattered few...desperately trying to retain our lost and dying arts. We few, we chosen few, are all that remains of the forgotten worlds. And now, you are to join amongst our ranks." Her grandmother urged. "Accept your gift! Learn to wield it and use it correctly! Find who you were truly meant to be, and you will be well rewarded by the Goddess!"

"What goddess?" Sam asked, unable to help herself. It had felt as though she were meant to be silent during this introduction to her powers, but she knew next to nothing about this magic, this world. She felt lost, scared, and alone. She desperately wished to learn more, so that she would not be so confused, so weak...

Or was that her primal part of her, the jaguar, determining that she was weak? It was as though there were two creatures inside of her-the animal side and her human side. She wondered which one would win, if it came down to a fight, and chills swept down her spine as she pictured the jaguar ripping into her flesh...

"You have much to learn, as you are newly born into this world. That makes you innocent and dangerous both. For you ask questions, and see things that we have long forgotten were there." Her grandmother said.

"Gran, you know how much I hate the mysterious all knowing elders in fantasy novels. Stop it." She demanded, feeling irritated. "You're pulling a Dumbledore with all this drama!"

Her grandmother looked indignant.

"I am attempting to build a little mystery! You young folks, you are so impatient these days!" She said, pouting.

"Your granddaughter is right, Susan. You're being a bit vague about everything. Why not just tell it to her straight?" Clair asked, shaking her head. "Samantha, the Goddess was basically once a witch who evolved past her powers, and became accepted into the realm of the gods and goddesses alike. She's revered by all who are able to change form, as well as those few witches who have lost their ability to change. The Goddess does not judge. She does not hinder nor help us, though she will grant favors from time to time if the need is truly dire. She has not been around for quite some time, decades in fact, but we still worship her."

"But I thought most women in the south worshipped God?" She asked, confused, and there were chuckles.

"True, there are many of us who do worship god as well, though none of us here do." Elizabeth explained. "Religion is a bit of a strange thing within our community. Let us say-we are very good at faking it."

Sam nodded.

"Now, you wished to learn to hover? This will be a useful tool for fetching your history books to read. I expect you to try to read at least a book a day. School books count." Her gran instructed her. "For those with knowledge can be quite deadly if they use the knowledge wisely."

"Alright. So how do I hover?" Sam asked.

"Picture yourself floating on clouds," Horatia suggested. "That's what I do." She added.

Sam closed her eyes and concentrated on the image of clouds beneath her, floating her towards the top of the shelves. It wasn't until she banged her head that she yelped and opened her eyes-and saw she was very high up off the floor.

"I DID IT! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT WAS THAT EASY!" She crowed, feeling triumphant. She thought magic would be harder. "Now how do I get down?" She muttered, realizing that she was stuck, floating near the ceiling.

"THINK DOWN!" One of the women called. She couldn't quite tell which it was, but thought it might be Elizabeth.

"Okay..." She hesitated. "Down?" She said, doubtfully.

And then cried out in surprised pain when without warning she was slammed against the floor. She winced, winded and bruised, as she pulled herself back up to a sitting position.

"That was fun," She groaned.

"Very good. Now let's try again, but for a better landing." Her grandmother said with a grin.

She couldn't help but sigh.

~*~

Notes: I feel as though I'll never reach 50,000 words...