Chapter Two: Family Matters

Not happy with this chapter, but posting it anyway.

      The next morning I woke to the smell of sausage, eggs, bacon, and pancakes. I yawned, stretched, and looked around at my room. I was living so close to the city, and it was noisier here than it was back in the country. I looked at my clock on my nightstand-it was only 7: 25 in the morning. I sighed, rolled out of my bed, and went to my closet. I picked my very best outfit, which was a pair of good jeans and a plain white t-shirt. I put on my shoes, and glanced at my typewriter. If I wanted quiet when working on my writing, I would have to get up earlier than this, I thought to myself in annoyance. Probably around 5:00 in the morning. I sighed, and went into the kitchen, where breakfast was being served by my grandmother. My grandfather was sitting and reading the newspaper while sipping coffee. The coffee smelled delicious, and so did breakfast. My grandmother set me down a plate of eggs and sausage with bacon.

"Would you like some pancakes?" My grandmother asked, and I shook my head.

"This is fine, thank you. Do we have any tea?" I asked, and my grandmother blinked.

"No, we don't. We'll pick some up at the store." She offered, and I smiled.

"That would be nice," I agreed. My grandfather shook his head.

"The damn Yanks won again," He muttered, crossly. I decided I would read the newspaper as well.

"May I see that when you're done, grandpa?" I asked, indicating the newspaper. My grandfather blinked then grinned, showing a perfect smile.

"Sure," He said, and then continued reading. I ate my eggs, and handed my grandmother the list I had come up. She looked at my list.

"You really need all of this?" She asked, looking thoughtful.

"Some of it can wait-" I started, thinking I had too much written down. She shook her head.

"We've got plenty of money to spend on you, darling. We'd be glad to get all of this," She said sincerely, and I blinked.

"Er...out of curiosity-how much?" I asked, tentatively.

"Well...we're rich white folk, or so the neighbors call us. Just because we don't flaunt it doesn't mean we don't have it," My grandmother said smiling. "If we pass away, all our money is going straight to you." She added. I stared at her.

"What? Why?"

"Because you're visiting us for one thing, and for another-you look as if you really need it," She said sincerely, and I blinked.

"Well..." I said, uncertainly. "Okay."

"Good. Now, we've got to stop by several stores...do you like music?" My grandmother asked, startling me.

"Oh, uh...I haven't had a chance to listen too much of it. Being in the country means you don't have very good satellite signals." I said truthfully. "I hate country music too," I added, as an afterthought.

"We'll just have to find your inner music, because you'll be taking music lessons on an instrument of your choice," My grandmother said thoughtfully. "Michael, what do you think?"

"Saxophone," My grandfather said, and I blinked. "She looks capable."

"No, she looks more like the cello type," My grandmother said seriously. I stared.

"Music lessons..." I said doubtfully. "Okay,"

"Fencing, horse-back riding, and languages," My grandfather said suddenly. "Lots of after school activities, like the other kids have these days-but these are for your training."