Chapter Seventy-Nine It All Started

Back From The Edge- James Arthur

     "So, how'd it go with David?" Dexter asks as I roll my eyes and look at him.

     "Well, he's not dead," I say with a frown. "I didn't get to kill him."

     "I take it that's a bad thing," Dexter says and I nod. "Well, I mean he is the one that killed your brother." He says, and I freeze.

     "David killed my brother?" I ask, shocked, and he nods. "Why?"

     "I haven't figured that out yet." Dexter sighs. "I only have theories and have told you some already."

     "I should have killed David when I had the chance." I spit out.

     "So... again, that's a bad thing?"

     "It's a very bad thing." I say before giving him a look.

     "You're so weird."

     "You're just figuring that out?"

     "Well, I've never actually gotten to know you before," Dexter says. "Now it seems like we've got plenty of time."

     "Sadly." I mutter.

     "Maybe it's not such a bad thing," Dexter says. "We can talk. We could all use friends in this place."

     "All my friends are either dead or stupid." I say, knowing it wasn't true.

     "Then we can be- what's that word for it- acquaintances." I roll my eyes.

     "What's the point?"

     "So, neither of us leave each other again." He says. "So we have a reason to get each other out of here."

    "I already have my reason not to leave you behind.." I hesitate. "Again."

     "I know. But I need a reason not to leave you behind if I ever get a chance to get out of here."

     "We can make promises." I say looking at him, and his eyes meet mine.

     "Promises?" I nod.

     "I always keep my promises. No matter what." I say.

     "Okay." Dexter nods. "Then I promise never to leave you behind." He says, and I hesitate.

     "I promise never to leave you behind," I say. "Again." I quickly add before shamefully looking away again.

     "I'm not mad at you for leaving me the first time." He says.

     "No, but I'm mad at myself, and I didn't just leave you. I forgot about you. I won't do that again."

     "I know you won't." He says.

     "So, what do you want to talk about?" I ask, looking at him again. He looks down as if to think, and I do the same. I can't really ask him how life is because I can only imagine. I sigh. What is there for us could talk about? "We can plan David's death," I state with both eyebrows raised as if it was something actually to consider. I glance at Dexter to find him smirking at me as he shakes his head. Dang, it sounded like a good plan.

     "I feel like we would have been good friends if we didn't hate each other before." Dexter says, and I nod.

     "Probably." I say, and suddenly a memory pops into my head and I smile. "Did I tell you about how I met Sam? Dallas's sister? Why we became friends?" Dexter shakes his head and my smile widens.

     "Ooh, are you about to tell another story?" He asks, sitting up straight. I nod and he smiles, sitting back again and waiting patiently for me to tell it.