Mumbled Words and Fleeting Stares

**WOOOHOOO EARLY UPDATE B/C THIS IS THE CHAPTER YA'LL HAVE BEEN PATIENTLY WAITING FOR!! It's finally here and this time I know it's the right chapter lmaooo. ALSO PLZ DEAR GOD DON'T COMMENT STUPID ANNOYING STUFF ABOUT HOW LARGE KNOX IS DESCRIBED AS BEING. YES, HE'S VERY LARGE AND I DON'T CARE IF YOU THINK HE'S TOO LARGE OR IT'S NOT YOUR PREFERENCE IN MEN, BUT HE'S A LYCAN SO HE HAS TO BE BIG AND POWERFUL. Rant over, now please enjoy!**

Poppy's POV (READ MY DAMN AUTHOR'S NOTE)

I jolted up in my bed when I heard the loud creaking of my outdated hardwood floors. I cocooned my comforter around my body while peeking out the window in front of me. Based on how much light was coming in, it was either really early in the morning, or the dead of night.

Either was equally as scary.

My heart rate and breathing picked up as the creaking continued, though I now noticed that the noise was making its way throughout the house, stopping and starting up again here and there. I didn't dare move a muscle as I was terrified to alert the intruder that I was awake and aware of their presence.

When I heard the creaking start back up farther away, I gained the courage to ease my body out of the bed. I grabbed the closest weapon to me - the fire poker - and held it close to my chest while turning so that my back was to the wall and I would be facing the intruder when, or if, they chose to make themselves know.

The second the creaking began coming towards me, all my confidence left my body and I began to shake like a leaf. I thought I was going to pass out when I saw a single foot step from the darkness and into my living room. Seconds later, a huge man emerged from the hallway. He had to duck down to make it through the entryway, as he was too tall. My breath caught in my throat as the object in my hands slipped as my grasp slackened with shock.

I'm screwed I thought to myself. His arms were the size of my head with veins bulging everywhere. His frame was wide and overpowering, making my somewhat spacious living room feel like a shoebox. I took an involuntary step back when my eyes adjusted to the dim lighting from the fire and allowed me to really get a good look. He was two, maybe even three times the size of Alpha Aaron - who already towered over my comically small frame.

Oh my God, I'm not making it out of here unharmed.

He took a step closer to me, causing me to thrust the fire poker into the air as a warning. This seemed to amuse the man, as the corner of his lips pulled up ever so slightly.

"Do you honestly think that would stop me?" His deep, husky voice rasped out. I gulped before briefly glancing at the weapon in question.

"Well, I'm not going to go down without at least a little bit of a fight," I replied shakily. He scoffed and rolled his eyes. Before I knew what was even happening, he shot forward and jerked the item out of my hold and snapped it in half.

"W-why are you here?" I whispered.

"Your fire went out some time ago, and when I came in you were shivering. You'll catch a cold if you aren't careful," he reprimanded. I wasn't sure what to make of his answer. He just admitted to watching me while I was asleep.

"If I wanted to hurt you, I would've done it already," he said with a scoff as if it were the most logical thing. "It's still very early, and you're injured. You need more sleep to heal. Go back to bed," he ordered, not moving a muscle. It was then that I realized the adrenaline rush and fear had dulled the pain in my ankle - which was now quickly resurfacing. I quietly whimpered at the intense surge of pain before half sitting, half falling onto my bed in front of me.

I watched with apprehension as he exited through my front door before returning a few seconds later. He had a large, fluffy pillow and an ice pack in hand. Where the heck did he get those?