The Backup

**Eeek, my spring break is dwindling down and I'm very upset about it. Regardless, hope you guys enjoy this chapter!**

Poppy's POV

Knox carried me to our bedroom as I continued to stroke the back of his head. My heart was breaking a million times over for him. I knew the second I looked at him as he got out of the car that the search party hadn't been successful. If anyone else were to examine him, they probably wouldn't see the disappointment so glaringly obvious in his body language.

But I wasn't just anyone; I was his mate.

His head was slumped over just a hint more than normal and his shoulders were lacking the tension that I'd become accustomed to when he was in the presence of others. His entire posture lacked the confidence I was used to seeing in him, but that wasn't the part that really got me. What got me was the expression on his face and the haunted look in his eyes. They told me more than words ever could. He'd gotten his hopes up - even though he'd stressed that he wouldn't - and now the let down was even more detrimental. I was hoping this wouldn't break his spirit for continuing with our backup plan.

I expected Knox to set me down once we'd made it to our room, but he didn't. He lowered himself onto the edge of the bed with me sitting on his lap. His arms tightened around me, almost to the point that it was difficult for me to breathe, but I didn't say anything. I knew that at this moment all he really needed was my soothing touch.

I wasn't sure how long we sat there with him not saying a word as his head stay buried in the crook of my neck. Eventually, my stomach growled which elicited a chuckle from Knox. I breathed a sigh of relief that I was able to lift his spirits at least a little.

"Are you hungry, Flower?" he asked quietly.

"Starving, actually," I laughed. He smirked before pressing a deep kiss to my lips.

"Thank you, Poppy," he murmured. He didn't have to say what for, I already knew.

"Don't thank me, Knox. I love you and I will always take care of you the best way that I can," I murmured before sliding off of his lap and extending my hand out to him. He took it and hoisted himself up, following my lead as I took us to the pack kitchen. The thing we both needed the most right now, besides each other, was a good home cooked meal.

Checking the digital clock on the microwave, I realized that while about two hours had passed since they'd arrived home, it was still only ten o'clock. Breakfast it is. I felt Knox's eyes following my body and I pulled out all the ingredients for chocolate chips pancakes - something I'd been craving terribly for the past few days - as well as eggs and some potatoes for hash browns.

"Do you want to start squeezing the oranges for juice?" I asked while setting a large bag of the fruit next to me on the countertop. He nodded and came around to work beside me. After a few minutes of silence, I glanced over at him and saw that he was deep in thought.

"What's on your mind, baby?" I murmured while pouring my first few pancakes on the Griddler. I turned my attention away from the food and rested my hand on his forearm to catch his attention. He sighed deeply before slamming the half-squeezed orange in his hand onto the countertop.

"I don't fucking want you going, Poppy. I don't want to send you in there. I don't have a good feeling about this and my wolf and I are both having a hard time with this decision," he growled with anger as he looked to be at war with himself. "I'm scared..." he croaked out, sending a pang of hurt straight to my heart. I flipped the cooking pancakes quickly before setting the spatula down and wrapping both my arms around his own while leaning my head against his bicep.