"DON'T!"

The raider takes a step forward, and the archivist is ready to leap. The planning was not just a mental exercise. Failing to act on a plan is equal to not planning.

His body sore and stiff from the might in the rain.

A powerful white fire appears just ahead of the raider.

The archivist has only the wetness of his clothes as a defense. He wonders if he can even get there in time.

On the other side of the portico the deity totem moves. One of the three long Lauren Cooper hairs on the metal pole disappears.

The deity stops everything else all across the realm.

It takes an inhumanly short period. The noble man is held down. Lauren Cooper is protectively cradled. The archivist is set on his knees.

A loud shout of 'DON'T!' is heard for a great distance.

The deity head smacks the raider and fire spirit sending them forty feet away to tumble on desert sand.

The fire spirit looks with anger back towards the deity, but the man is running away to hide behind large rocks. Taking the spirit with him.

A few tense moments pass.

The deity considers the events. It is just what his other selves warned about.

The other hairs are taken into the deity realm and stored. Clearing the influence that Lauren Cooper held.

Relaxing the hold on Lauren, the archivist becomes the focus of attention.

The archivist assumed the relaxed submitted position gained from years in training.

The deity regretted releasing this one, but would not set the bad precedent of reversing a decision.

A quick negotiation settles the matter of being a life guard for Lauren Cooper.

The whole price for bond servant term would be paid, but not the seven times amount. All obligations removed.

The archivist knew better than to argue. He had no chance in that role.

The deity leaves.

The archivist goes to collect the heavy handled knives.

As he picks them up, he sees a heavy dark smoke from behind the large rock.

It rises to quick light flame that blows the black smoke away.

He falls back onto a knee at seeing it. A bright fire flies off and away.

Standing, the archivist, looks at the noble man holding onto the noble woman. So only the two saw the smoke and know what happened.

They will find only ashes on the other side of the rock. A man eaten by a fire spirit.

The archivist leaves silently.

He is only former archivist. The case and knives must be returned.

He walks back to 'Civilization's Edge' with a fresh dread for life at the border.

Raiders. Fire Spirits.

He feels and looks terrible and is dirt covered.

He plans to use a back door to the archive building.