"Odd Complexities"

After Lauren Cooper left "Civilization's Edge', the elders made public announcements. Which led to meetings in spacious halls.

Those from the hills could decide for themselves. Align to civilization, or be considered just guests.

The next day, they interviewed those that made commitment. At the end of the day, a mobile defense group was created. Made official through deific acceptance (which caused the recall of the archivist's husband from their travels).

The troops from the other city arrived to collect the noble house. They were impressed to see that place was well defended. They regarded this area as 'undefended'.

The troops were not happy to hear that they had likely passed the noble house on the road. They were less happy to receive orders that they camp within sight of 'Civilization's Edge'. The lead officer does not much like the order that only she knows about.

"Prevent Armed Parties from passing by."

The troop of eight makes a camp checkpoint along the common path (with sight, but well away).

In "Civilization's Edge", those that were guests were cautioned and advised to keep rested and hold provisions. They should be ready to leave at any moment.

The leaders of the mobile defense group were giving clear and strict instructions. Who could give orders to them and under what conditions.

"Only take orders that include a specific phrase. Only accept those orders if this place is an official outpost of civilization. Remember, you are a group under authority and that authority will not be diminished, not matter what these buildings look like."