CHAPTER 4 - THERE IS NO GOING BACK NOW!

I thought I was the luckiest girl in the world, I got to spend the entire day with an amazing guy. Suddenly, I was forcing myself to get through the rest of school, lost in a daze. After my last class finally ended, I met up with Jenny at the lockers before we headed home. As I approached mine, I noticed a note peeking out of the corner. I rushed to it, hoping it was from him.

Even though I was angry at him, I needed to hear some reason. At that point, I would have even taken an excuse. Hurriedly, I snatched it out of the locker. I glanced up at Jenny before I opened it and she shot me a sympathetic look. I knew she thought he was bad news, but I just couldn't help myself. The heart wants what the heart wants.

That letter was EVERYTHING to me at that moment. I opened it like someone would open their first present on Christmas morning. Glancing down at the letters, I skipped straight to the signature. It was from him. It was from Jake.

Sky,

I know I was a jerk this morning, PLEASE give me a chance to explain myself.

What we have is amazing, please don't let it go.

Jake

I read his words and then re-read them, trying to make sense of everything. My mind replayed every scene and the way he had completely ignored me. If he wanted me, then why did he treat me that way? There was only one way to find out.

Jenny didn't say a word, she could see on my face it was a losing battle. So, like any good friend, she just kept her opinions to herself. I had to figure this out on my own and she knew it.

Back at home, I plopped down on my bed and just let myself fall back. My mind was still obsessing over everything. My brain came scarily close to exploding. Just as I had worked my mind into a fever pitch, my phone buzzed and I rushed to see what it said.

Jake pleaded, "I really need to see you tonight. I have to get you alone so we can sort this whole thing out."

I thought for a moment, trying to come up with a way to get out of the house. It was impossible. Mom had come home earlier that day and there was no way she is letting me go anywhere, I wouldn't dare ask. Having no choice, I forced myself to reply, "I'm sorry Jake, I can't." I kept it short. How do you explain to someone that your mom is insane and you walk on eggshells all the time, desperately trying not to provoke her?

"Sky, I really need you, don't do this," he pleaded again. I knew he thought I said that because I was rejecting him. It was literally killing me inside, but the only alternative was just too much. I couldn't tell him the truth.

"I wish I could explain, but I can't."

It only took a few seconds for him to reply. "I will make this right, I am not letting you go that easy," he insisted.

Thinking hard before replying, I decided not to, I couldn't. After a few minutes, he tried to call. I didn't answer, I didn't have the words.

The emotional exhaustion of the day had drained me and left me hungry, so I headed to the kitchen to look for something to eat. The bare wood shelving held only a few cans of food. I checked the fridge next, hoping to find success there. Those shelves were bare also, just a bowl of leftovers from the week before.

My stomach growled loudly, so I wasn't giving up my search. I opened the crisper drawer and found a package of hotdogs, checking the date. They were still good, score! I grabbed two raw hot dogs and headed back to my room.

There was no ignoring the shouting coming from the living room. I attempted to head back to my room undetected. Dad was sitting on the corner of the tattered sofa, staring at the floor. He looked like he'd been counting the ripped patches of linoleum for hours.