Chapter 5 - TENDER, LOVING, CARE

"This is my mom and dad's vacation home," he said as we entered the cottage. "They are rarely home but when they are, they often spend time up here."

"That must get very lonely for you," I replied.

"Sometimes," he shrugged, "but then again, I can do whatever I want." I looked at him as his reality came into focus.

"You date girls that are shallow, have some real jerks for friends and your parents are rarely ever around."

"What are you getting at Sky?" he questioned.

"Just that you don't seem to have one person in your life who is always there for you and loves you unconditionally."

"That used to be true," he said while shooting me an adorable wink.

I just couldn't help myself so I blurted out, "What has changed?"

He looked at me with a sweet smile, "I found you."

My heart melted. He considered me not only part of his life but the most important part. Just when I thought I couldn't fall any harder. He disappeared for a few minutes, and I had a moment to take in my surroundings.

There was a cozy fireplace, and calming, dusty blue walls that reminded me we are by the ocean. A huge, overstuffed sectional wrapped itself around me perfectly, and pictures of Jake adorned the walls.

As I heard his footsteps coming back into the living room, I turned to see him holding a very large first aid kit. I stared at him with a questioning expression as he sat down beside me, revealing its contents. "Can I see your back again?" he asked with a bit of anxiety in his voice. "Some of those cuts look like they are getting infected." I slowly took my shirt off, being careful not to irritate my back and turned around so he could see it once again.

"You don't have to do this, I know it's disgusting to look at."

"Have you ever shown anyone before?" he asked in a low tone, not sure if he was prying too deeply.

"No, never, I always hide it. The only one who knows is my dad because he is there when it happens. I think Jenny also suspects, but she has never dared to ask me about it."

He froze for a moment and his body tensed.

"Wait, your dad watches this happen and does nothing to stop it?" He asked, disdain dripping with every word.

"You don't understand what it's like, Jake," I bit back. His accusation ignited some primal instinct to protect my dad. He was the only one who knew what it was like to live with her. We survived together. How dare he attack him?

He sat silently for a moment, not sure how to respond. "I am sorry I upset you, I am trying to understand," he finally managed. I turned around and looked at him, green lighting him to continue his line of questioning.

"How long has this been going on?" was his next question.

"I am not sure, I don't remember a time when it didn't, probably since birth."

"Is this the worst it's ever been?" I don't think he was certain he wanted to hear the answer to that question.

"No, last fall I had to be absent for three days. My mom sent a note saying I had the flu, but I was recovering," I responded and a long silence followed.

I could not see his face but I knew he was processing everything I had said, probably trying to imagine how it could get worse. The alcohol stung as he wiped it, and I flinched a bit but didn't protest. I was just glad to have someone who would help me. It was hard to see how bad it was in that area. When he finished cleaning my back, he applied a cool ointment that relieved the stinging.