CHAPTER 20 - THE FINAL STRAW

Once we checked in to the hotel, the hot shower really made me feel better. I stood there for what seemed like an eternity, just letting the steaming water cascade down my back, hoping it would wash all of my cares away.

Once I finished, I wiped the now fogged mirror with my towel. It was time to get ready. After the day I had, going out to dinner with Jake was the perfect distraction I so desperately needed. Not thinking about the situation at home for a while sounded like a breath of fresh air.

Looking in the mirror, I was glad that I spent an entire afternoon with Jenny, deciding what I should bring for the weekend. She let me borrow an amazing outfit and I was excited to show it off to Jake. The dress was black, looked like a man's dress shirt, and I felt gorgeous in it. It had buttons all the way down the front and with the two top buttons undone; it showed just enough without giving it all away. Here in the South, we have a saying, "Leave a little to the imagination," and those are words to live by.

The sleeves rolled until they rested midway between my wrists and elbows. Off white peekaboo heels with ankle straps finished the outfit nicely. I decided to just let my hair hang loose and keep my make-up natural with a little glow on my cheeks. With a spray of perfume, I exited the bathroom, fully aware that Jake was probably tired of waiting on me. When I walked out, he just stared for a moment and finally let out what can only I can only describe as a "cat-call".

I gave him a little spin, and from the smile on his face, he approved. It wasn't long before he was taking my hand and leading me out of the hotel room. We exited right on River Street and I took a moment to breathe in the sights and sounds. The streets were full of party-goers and music spilled out from every bar we passed.

Jake led me to a restaurant that had two levels and was full of people. We made our way upstairs and in true Jake fashion; we passed the people waiting in line as they escorted us to a private table in the corner. He really had put some thought into our weekend. There was soft Jazz music playing, and it really created an intimate atmosphere. The food was delicious, and after we finished, Jake ordered a dessert for us to share. While we were waiting for it, he reached into his pocket and my heart stopped beating for a few seconds.

"Sky, I am so proud of you and everything you have accomplished, I just wanted to give you something to mark this moment," he said as he placed a box on the table. It was too big for a ring box. That made me breathe a little easier. It was silly to even let myself think it might be a ring, but what is a girl to think when a guy pulls a jewelry box out of his pocket?

"Go ahead, open it," he said.

Still nervous, I picked the box up and slowly opened it. No-one had ever bought me jewelry, not even my parents. I was holding in my hand not only jewelry but jewelry from Neil Lane. I slowly opened it to reveal what was hiding inside. A platinum necklace was in the box, with a heart dangling from it. This was no plain heart. It was hanging on its side with diamonds set in it. My mouth fell open, and I was struggling to find words.

Jake got up from his chair, walking around the table, and put the necklace on me while I lifted my hair for him. I remained silent during this entire exchange. When Jake returned to his seat, he looked at me for a moment and said, "It's beautiful but not as beautiful as you!"

"Thank you, it's gorgeous, no one has ever given me jewelry before."

Jake did not miss a beat, "Just another one of our first's," he said with a wink.

After dinner, we walked hand in hand down River Street, exploring every shop and spending a little too long in the candy shop. Who could blame us? That candy store was amazing, people were making taffy, there was ice cream and bin after bin of any candy you could imagine. You couldn't help but feel like a kid the moment you walked in the door.