Chapter 2

Dawn

Everywhere. His scent is everywhere. The only way to escape it would be to stop breathing entirely.

It has been only a week and it is hard to find my voice again. The former queen, Celena has been by so often I can hardly get her scent out of my nose and cottage.

I sigh again when her floral aroma hits my senses, I do not realize how close she is as I feel, rather than hear her gasp, her pity as her eyes roam my bare flesh.

"Where are you going?" she asks finally stepping inside after I cover the devastation of my back. She probably spotted my sea weed bag full with the little things I need for a deep dive.

"Why do you ask when it is obvious? I need to find my voice again." I look at her with a frown. Is this not what they called me here for? To use me for my gift of voice?

"Be careful. There has been some unrest recently. An increase of rogue activity." I nod in thanks for her concern. At least I hope it is concern. It would be so much easier if I wasn't alive, around for them to see then I'd be just another secret well kept.

"I will." I always am.

"Have you been to see your mother yet, Dawn?" I look away from her, my shoulders tensing at her imploring tone of voice. Shame once again takes a hold of me and I look down at what I'm doing. I can't bear to see her pity. I can already taste it on my tongue.

"She misses you." I grind my teeth together to hold back any unthought-of response.

"She's better off without me." my jaws are set hard and my core quivers at the truth of my words.

"You don't honestly believe that Dawn-"

"It is what I have seen with my own two eyes and heard with my own two ears. She does not need me to stir up that kind of trouble for her or bring my shame at her feet again." I hang my bag on my shoulder and stand toe to toe with this legendary Luna.

"You are going to find Her aren't you?" Celena asks and I don't bother to respond, she's smart enough.

"Yes. Only She can help me-"

"She couldn't help you eight years ago when you were at my son's feet begging him to look at you just once-"

"I never went to her because I wanted Harlem." I could expound more on why my request from the Queen of the Sea was not what they all think it is but that explanation stuck to my throat when his scent hit me.

"You called him?" I ask in disbelief when he stands beside his mother looking at me with a glare. I scoff at the united front they try to put on, I could tell that they are communicating through their bond by the emotional heights my cabin is housing which I've always found freaky as hell.

"He can do as he pleases. I care not whether he gets himself killed." Harlem says, his body tense, veins bulging while he grits the words out and I wonder why, is his beast disapproving with his skin side?

I bet he'd love for me to turn up dead somewhere. "You heard him." I suck in a breath of air hoping it would build my confidence a bit as I step past them.

"Harlem, escort Dawn to the beach." Celena says not moving an inch. Harlem mumbles something and a growl full of violent intent is heard before his scent hits me again, thank the Gods the wind blew, pushing the strength of it away from me.

I try to ignore him as he follows after me and seeing as that's freaking hard to do, instead I speed up my strides in the hope that I can out walk him and make my dive long before he reaches the shore.