Chapter 9

Dawn

It's the scent of sex that greets us first and I can feel Celena's shame as we step through the door. The odor so strong it makes my knees buckle as if she let him have her in every room of the house mere minutes before we stepped in. His pheromones scream at me and my body answers against my wishes. My stomach tightens, my lips tremble and to my shame my legs didn't stay under me. That's how he finds us, me on one knee and his mother trying to help me up. Kerissa is right behind him, smirking at me while hooking her arm through his.

He stares at me, shorts hanging low on his hips, sweat still wet on his skin and the intimate scent of their coupling saturates the air around us, choking me till I can only take quick shallow breaths while my siren begs me to claw her eyes out, slash that smirk off her lips.

Harlem looks confused as he stares at me, guilt pours off him now and Kerissa senses it too. That he regrets lying with her. I want to smirk in her direction but I don't. I don't want to feel these things for him. I don't want to feel anything for him.

"Kerissa, shower now." Celena grits. "You too Harlem." she turns disappointed eyes to her offspring. Shame killing them from the inside.

"How much do you think he can take?" she hisses letting my arm go when she gets me to sit on the couch in front of them. Kerissa cowers behind Harlem when Luna growls.

"He is here to ensure the safe birth of your pup under the circumstances and instead you torture him this way." Celena says gaining a bit of my respect. She is looking at Harlem whose eyes remain on me as mine are on him. Taking in his half-naked skin side. Pleasing to the eyes is what he is, so pleasing that I find my mouth pooling with saliva at his physique.

"I did not know that he was coming here today." Harlem defends and Celena growls at Kerissa who hides her face in Harlem's back.

"I told your mate!" she rages and Harlem steps aside to look at his chosen and I cringe when Celena turns guilty eyes to me. Her use of a title that can never belong to Kerissa.

"Is this true?" she trembles and looks at Harlem whose voice is hard and calm, too calm. She nods her head and Harlem growls making her recoil from him. Her hand flies to her stomach and his eyes follow, his jaw relaxing as he gazes at the flesh protecting his unborn.

Kerissa looks at me for just a split second and I see it. Her fear and hate of me. Her fears for her unborn and her relationship with my destined mate. Hate for me that the Gods paired me with the one she wants.

"Stress is not good for her or the pup." all eyes turn to me as I finally get my feet under me, breathing through my mouth.

Seeing his concern, his love for her gives me a strength that I use. I stand on my feet that no longer feel unstable.

"She must rest, more than she has been." I ignore their stares and step to her noting the way she flinches.

I take in the way her lips are almost cracking and her skin dry despite the sheen of whatever moisturizer she put on. "Dehydrated. You need to drink more water." I say directly to her and she glares at me. The gurgling of her unborn telling me all I need to know about its health.

"Eat more. Your pup is a big one. Female." I outstretch my hand and Kerissa steps back.

"May I?" I ask looking at Harlem and at his nod I gently place my hand on her stomach as he tightens his grip on her arm to hold her in place for me.

"She likes when you lay in the sun." I continue almost as if the pup spoke words to me. I don't know what was happening but right now I know everything about this unborn.