Chapter 10

Micaah

The first scream pierces the air and I watch as Dawn flies up off the bed seeming on auto pilot as he puts on a jersey and slips on his shoes.

I follow him and he makes no moves to suggest that he knows I'm following him through the woods and onto the mansion's grounds.

When more screaming rose Dawn starts humming lowly and then it builds, more loudly the closer he gets. Celena opens the door and Dawn floats inside.

"Thank the Gods." the former Luna breathes when we walk into the living room all the furniture are pushed against the walls and blankets with writhing females and males readying to give birth fill the open space.

Males growl at me and I hold my hands up in a show that I am no threat to their vulnerable mates. I move to a corner of the room as far away as possible.

Dawn keeps humming and in a few moments the screams of pain dies down to whimpers and low growls. Dawn begins singing and every pregnant wolf is entranced. He goes around to each wolf, soothing them with his voice. He stops by Kerissa who seems to be having the hardest time of them all. Her face is twisted into one of pain as she gasps desperately for air.

Retribution I think. For all the pain she's caused Dawn. Her and her chosen mate's abomination tearing up her insides as she tries to push it out from her womb. Dawn pets her hair and Harlem stands stiff as a board when Dawn kneels by her side.

Dawn continues singing transitioning seamlessly into another tune still petting her like she's a scared child. She turns wide pain filled eyes to him and he just smiles and continues his singing as if willing her to calm down. Her eyes take in his changes; his gills on display, the sharpening of his teeth and the lengthening of his hair as his siren surges to the forefront of his physical being.

Eventually she does calm as the first pup comes filling the room with the scent of blood and a loud shrill scream. Kerissa grits her teeth and Dawn just sings to her, only to her as pups continue coming one after the other.

Pretty soon the room is cleared yet still Kerissa is writhing on the floor. Harlem's face is a mixture of so many emotions that I can't decipher how many.

He looks to Dawn with a sort craving that makes my hackles rise a bit. But then he looks at his chosen and his eyes soften, a pure kind of love shining in them despite how tainted their love really is. Worry for his pup, for his chosen and then it starts over again and again.

Kerissa screeches and Dawn's singing quickens in pace, the strength of his voice increasing until he sounds as if he's ramming the words down somebody's throat until the first wails of the pup is heard.

Dawn brings down his voice and ends it slowly, drawing out the last few notes. He slumps over a bit as the midwife places the pup in Kerissa's arms.

"Thank you." Harlem whispers, voice thick with emotion. Dawn smiles slightly as he looks from the pup to Kerissa and then to him.

Dawn just nods while Kerissa sobs and to be honest it was annoying to me as hell. This should be a happy time and tears of joy and all that but as Dawn stands and Harlem takes his place beside his fraud of a mate making the family complete I can't help but feel disgusted by the picture they make.

I watch Dawn break into pieces as Harlem kisses both his pup and Kerissa with such tender care that even I look away.

"Micaah..." Dawn says my name so devastatingly sad. I come to his side immediately and place my arm around him and he just collapses against me.

"Take me home." he whispers and I pick him up bridal style. His face buried in my neck as he breathes hard. I can feel Harlem's eyes on my back and I turn my head to him flashing my teeth.