47 ~ Month Fourteen: December

Sitting on my bed, I watch as Elena changes into her seventeenth dress, her eyes frantic as she tries to make a decision.

"You look amazing." I assure, grinning at her.

"You think?" She asks, turning to me with a worried expression. "Should I change to the green dress?"

"No. I like the red one." I assure her.

"Are you sure you don't mind that he's one of Brett's friends?" She asks and I roll my eyes. Absolutely not. Just because people are friends with Brett doesn't mean I hate them all, hell I always liked Ben, Liam and Chris. Even Ellis was alright. Who's to say Kyle is any different? I'm just excited for my roommate to finally go on a date with the guy shes been crushing on for two months.

"God no!" I exclaim, "It doesn't bother me one bit." I assure her, "Kyle seems nice."

"Okay." She smiles, relieved, "Red or black handbag?"

"Black." I immediately choose. She nods, shoving her red one back into her overflowing closet. "Where's he taking you?"

"Mei's."

"The Chinese place?" I squeal, remembering our first evening together.

"Yeah."

"Enjoy!" I exclaim, "I'm jealous."

"Of course you are, it's food!" She laughs and I grin, picking up another cookie and shoving it into my mouth.

*~*~*

An hour later I'm curled up in bed, Elena long gone, when a ringtone blasts through the room, shocking me away from my Pitch Perfect movie marathon. Fumbling with the buttons I manage to pause the movie before glancing at the phone and raising it to my ear.

"Hey Elle what's up?"

"Hey, are you okay?" She asks.

"Yeah I'm all good." I reply. "You never ring this late, what is it?"

"They've..." She trails off, "Alex put me forward for this course." She begins, "It's to advance my midwifery training."

"Okay." I say slowly, wondering where this is going.

"And they've accepted."

"Wow!" I exclaim, "Well done Elle! That's incredible." I grin, "Wait. Why aren't you more excited?"

"It's in Texas." She explains, before pausing. "Over Christmas."

"Oh!"

"So I'm going to decline it." She continues.

"Are you crazy?" I almost yell down the phone at her. Has she been drinking? On drugs? Because those are the only reasonable explanations as to why my sister would decline such an incredible opportunity.

"Ann, we spend every Christmas together, as families should!"

"Elle this is a big opportunity for you." I point out and hear her sigh at the other end of the phone.

"I can't afford to take you with me..."

"Elle. Listen to me." I cut her off, "It's okay." I assure her. "We can celebrate when you get back."

"I can't..."

"If you don't go then I will never forgive you." I assert, "You put your whole life on hold for me."

"But Christmas..."

"Is just one day of the year." I point out, "Who cares if we make ours a week later?"

"Are you sure?"

"One hundred percent." I assure her and she finally squeals in excitement at the other end of the phone. Five minutes later we say our goodbyes and hang up, leaving me alone once more.