50 ~ December

You can't even imagine how terrifying the dorm rooms are when no-one is here. The building creaks and groans at all hours and I am forever waking up in the middle of the night, shooting upright and grabbing hold of Elena's lamp, ready to fight anyone who's out there. It's led to me getting out of bed in the early hours and going out as soon as I'm dressed, only returning when it begins to get dark, in the hope that I can get back, go to sleep straight away, and then wake up the next day to start the whole process again.

Christmas Day I throw my brown coat on and wrap a black scarf around me before grabbing hold of my phone and bag. Leaving the room, I lock it behind me and slowly make my way down the stairs. Quickly pushing the door open I breathe in the cool, crisp fresh air of Christmas Day and can't help the smile that graces my face. I may be alone but it's still Christmas and it's my favorite time of year.

Shutting the door behind me I walk down the familiar path towards the main road, not sure where I'm headed but desperate to take my mind off the fact that I have a cold burrito back in my dorm room as Christmas dinner, nothing else.

Last night I watched Love Actually, one of mine and Elle's favorite Christmas films. As always I ended up wishing I could visit London, but also terribly angry at Alan Rickman's character for buying a necklace for his fling on the side. Every year Elle and I throw popcorn at the screen at the scene, but last night I merely shed a few tears, stuffing all of the popcorn into my face.

As I reach the main road I shove my hands into my pockets, the cold chill eating into my bones already. I've never known California to be this cold and am thankful that heating is included in the price of my room.

A sleek black car suddenly screeches to a halt across the road from me and I stop suddenly, eyes wide at the sudden action. The door immediately opens and breath catches in my throat, shocked by the sight. Should I run away?

"Savannah!" The deep, comforting voice calls as he steps out.

"Brett?" I breathe out, startled that he is standing in front of me on Christmas Day. He's an absolute sight, dressed smartly - a dress shirt and formal pants showing off his muscular body. I clamp my mouth shut quickly, tearing my eyes away from his body and up towards his face. He smiles at me as he places one of his hands into his pocket.

"You must be freezing dear, come on, you must have dinner with us." A female voice calls out and I turn my attention to the middle-aged, well-polished brunette woman who is sticking her head out of the front window.

"I'm okay really..."

"I insist! We aren't leaving without you." She cuts me off, waving her hand dismissively. I glance back towards Brett who smirks.

"My Mother has spoken!" He comments, gesturing for me to get into the car. I bite my lip as I look at the beautiful car and then back towards the cold, empty dorm building as I weigh up my options. There is no way I should get in that car, I'm not stupid. Only two weeks ago Brett and I had our lips locked, bodies intertwined as we lay on my bed. It's not fair on Haydon.

But Haydon is barely talking to me, advising me that he would be unable to contact me from 22nd to 28th despite the fact that I've heard from Becky the entire time. I am all alone, the loneliness eating me up, leading to the tears that fall down my cheeks every night. I have nothing else to do today.

"Okay." I give in, "Thank you." I smile as Brett holds the back door open for me. I carefully slide into the car as Brett jumps in the other side.

"What is a lovely girl like you doing out today?" Brett's Mom asks, staring around at me. She looks young for her age, her hair pulled back into a chignon bun, her blue eyes sparkling as she smiles.