90 ~ April

The park isn't the same as the woodland back in Edgewater Valley. It's the one thing I truly do miss about my hometown.

Every weekend that I stay with Elle I always make sure I go for a run along the well trodden path in the forest, enjoying the peaceful sounds of the trees and birds.

I haven't dared leave the path and traipse up to the waterfall for five years, only having gone up there once after I knew that Brett had left for New York. I went there, hair falling out of a top knot, hoodie sodden with melted chocolate, tear stained cheeks, with a box of stuff from our relationship in my arms. I buried it all at the bottom of one of the trees as I sobbed, unable to think clearly.

It was a strange idea, one that I barely ever let myself think of. Why didn't I just throw it all in the trash like a normal person?

Making my way around the relatively green city park I take deep breaths in and out, my music blaring in my ears as I struggle to maintain the motivation to keep up the run, wanting instead to slow to a brisk walk. I'm so unfit, having used my pregnancy so far as an excuse to sit around and eat junk food. It's starting to catch up to me, the weight I'm gaining far more than what a tiny little baby can account for.

Turning the corner of the tarmacked path I immediately stop short at the sight of the man running the other way, eyes widening in surprise. Well, this is awkward.

"Brett!" I exclaim, pulling my earphones out.

"Savannah." He greets, a polite smile on his face, "How are you?"

"I'm good." I reply, "You?"

"Good."

"I haven't really heard from you." I comment and he sighs, reaching up and running his hand through his hair.

"I thought that was the agreement." Brett replies and I shake my head.

"No. We're supposed to be friends."

"That's easier said than done." He retorts and I cock my head.

"Why?"

"Because when I'm around you, I want nothing more than to wrap your legs around me." Brett replies with a shrug. I feel my cheeks immediately redden at the admission and tear my gaze away from him, my heart thumping against my ribcage at the words.

"I hear one of your friends is getting married." I exclaim, quickly changing the subject.

"Ryan." He nods. Ah, one of the football friends! "How did you...?"

"Lacey. She came in to get a dress." I cut him off, my reply coming out blunter than I meant it to.

"I needed a date." Brett quickly replies and I raise my eyebrows, interested by his need to justify himself.

"I get it."

"I should..." He gestures behind him and makes a move to turn away.

"We need to talk through this Brett!" I cut him off, "We can't be like this when the baby comes."

"We won't." He replies after a moment of hesitation. "I just need some time to get over not being with you."

"Five years isn't enough?" I retort, knowing full well what the answer is. Hell, it wasn't enough for me either.

"No." He admits before turning to leave once more.

"I know you're the one who keeps sending all the stuff with Alice." I blurt out, not sure why I'm so desperate for him to stay.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Brett replies, his eyes wary.

"Yes you do." I retort and he glances down in defeat.