─ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓

Silence filled the car as we headed towards the old Caulder house.

Leaning back on the car seat, I stole a few glances at Dick while trying to figure out what made him snapped like that. It wasn't because Rachel is missing. It was something deeper and personal like a past event that will terribly affect his future if he continues.

I guess it is why he's running... just like me.

"I didn't know you had it in you," Kory spoke up, glancing over to him. "The way you attacked that man," she paused, pursing her lips. "It's none of my business, but if you don't unbury whatever it is that's going on, you're gonna explode. Just like her."

"You were a shrink in your past life?" Dick questioned as his attention was kept directly on the dark, snowy road.

"Maybe. Maybe I'm a shrink in this life. Who knows?" Kory shrugged her shoulders, pausing once again for a second. "You got problems. You seem like a nice guy, but I'm not so sure."

"I went through something when I was a kid," Dick confessed with slight hesitation.

"So that gave you the right to beat up an innocent man?" I questioned, staring at him through the rearview mirror as his body stiffened before relaxing. "You need a better reason than 'I went through something as a kid'."

"I don't want her to make the same mistakes I did. Trusting in the wrong people," he explained, finally meeting my stare as his words indirectly stabbed me in the heart.

"You may have gone through some bad shit. Ashe probably has, from the looks of it. I may have, too, I don't know. But what I do know is that no one manages alone," Kory told him, looking out the window to sightless scenery.

My eyes directed down at the duffle bag. 'No one manages alone.' I wanted to believe in those words as there are others like me, but sadly I cannot. What I went through was plain sadistic and bloody.

"I don't have to remember much to remember that."

When we finally reached the house, the car halted in front as Dick exited the car with a bolt cutter and cut through the thick chains.

"For a place said to be abandoned, it sure has top of the line security system," I stated, looking at the barb wires placed on top of the fence. "They must not want visitors."

"Probably," Kory mumbled.

As we made our way up on the driveway, the lights inside were flickering. It was safe to say Rachel is definitely here unless the mansion is haunted or someone is pulling a prank.

Climbing out of the car, I headed up the steps that led up to the front door, which was unfortunately locked. I took a step or two back before thrusting my leg at the door.

The side panels, made of wood, cracked into pieces. "Oops, my bad," I lightly chuckled, earning looks from both Dick and Kory.

We took precautions when entering as the flickering lights were getting stronger by the second. "Hello?" Dick called out, receiving silence. He looked from left to right, walking off to the living room.

Kory and I followed after him, checking out the fancy artworks on the walls along with the vintage furniture laid out in the room.