─ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

I sat on the black granite countertop, my legs dangling as everyone invaded the dining space, brainstorming a solution to yet another problem in our endless situation—Adamson and his request to speak with Rachel alone.

It was unsettling when thinking about it, but truth to be told, we didn't have much of a choice. We needed answers for everything that has happened in the past couple of days and Adamson is the only person who can tell us that.

"I need to talk to him," Rachel said as she had both hands on the table, "alone."

"Don't think that's a good idea," Dick voiced out, pacing back and forth.

"Why? 'Cause I can't take care of myself?" she argued.

"That's not the point."

"I need to find out who he is. Why he's chasing me."

"I don't trust him."

"What's not to trust? The man's tied up," Kory joined in, casually leaning against the dining table. "One word from Rachel, and I'll walk in and put my foot through his face."

"We don't have much of an option here, Grayson. We need answers and Adamson has them," I spoke up, jumping off the countertop. "Besides, it's not like Rachel will be alone. We'll be like 20 feet away, ready to rush in when the situation turns bad."

"Dick, please," Rachel pleaded, softly.

Dick sighed in defeat. "Five minutes."

"Thank you," she gave a nod, softly smiling before heading to the bathroom.

We patiently waited in silence until a scream reflected throughout the penthouse. On instinct, the four of us dashed over to the bathroom where Rachel had blood all over her hands. Her face was covered in terror as Adamson joyfully smiled.

"You will heal the world," the old man said to her.

I pulled Rachel away from him. "Gar, take Rachel and get her cleaned up. I believe it's time for the adults to take over now," I requested as Gar nodded and left the bathroom with Rachel.

"How did you know she could do that?" Kory asked.

"I know everything about her," Adamson answered, "she will purify the world."

"We are doing this under his order—eliminating those who don't belong on Earth nor in heaven," Sister Olga's voice resonated inside my head, causing my jaw to tighten in anger. I really hate those deep, religious nutcases.

"There's a prophecy that says Rachel will destroy the world."

"An interpretation based on fear."

"Alright," Dick mumbled, grabbing Adamson and pressing his face against the glass door until painful grunts filled the bathroom. "What do you want with Rachel?" The old man gave no response, resulting in more anguish. "I'm not gonna ask you again."

"To reunite her with her father," Adamson groaned out.

"Who is he? Where is he?"

"I don't know, I swear. You can't stop him. Angela couldn't. Melissa couldn't. No one can keep Rachel from him."

"Who's Angela?" I asked, taking a step forward. "You said she couldn't keep Rachel from him so tell us. Who is Angela?" When he didn't answer the question, I placed my hand on Adamson's head and pressed his face even more against the glass. "Listen here, old man. You better give me answers or I will make sure your death is nice and slow."