Chapter Three - A Deal with the Devil

~♡~Mac's POV~♡~

"Here," a girl says to me, her voice is smoky and rather mysterious. I recognize the voice as the one who told me to shush a few minutes ago.

When I open my tear-rimmed eyes, my vision is still blurry, but I notice someone is waving a tissue in front of my face.

"Thanks," I mutter, my voice sounds nasal as a result of crying for ten minutes straight.

I use the tissue she gave to wipe the tears off my eyes and blow my nose so I can breathe better. In between doing so, I notice there's an odd, nauseating odor coming from the tissue. It's as if... someone just wiped their vomit with it.

But that can't be, can it? I mean, who would give someone a used tissue? That'd be pure evil!

Nah. Of course not. What was I thinking? My mind must be playing tricks on me because of what happened earlier.

I crumple the tissue and put it in my bag to throw later when I can find a trash bin. Now that my nose isn't so stuffy anymore, I can smell the scent of an alluring – if not hypnotic – perfume filling the air and it's coming from the girl who's standing next to me. Once my vision clears, I glance at her.

My eyes widen for a split second when I see she's the girl I saw earlier at the party, Sophia Wilde. Her hair and dress are all wet while her mascara wears off a little, but she still looks gorgeous nonetheless.

For a while, the thought of asking her what happened that made her soaked from head to toe comes across my mind. But then, I figure she probably just took a dip in the pool fully clothed. After all, she seems like a girl who would do that.

"What?" She lets out a small chuckle. "Despite what you might have heard about me, I don't bite. I promise."

A small smile curves up on the corners of my lips. I guess I was right. She isn't as bad as people think.

"No, it's not that." I shake my head while still sobbing a little. "It's just... you're the last person I'd expect to be standing outside the party."

"Yeah... that's true," she mutters to herself, sounding angry about something. But before I can ask her about it, she quickly wipes her anger off and replaces it with a sympathetic smile. Leaning to the tree on her side, she says, "So... rough night, huh?"

I let out a sigh. "Yeah. The video you played earlier, I don't know if you noticed, but that's... me," my voice trembles a little.

As the scene from earlier replays itself in my head, tears start to form behind my eyes yet again. As if what happened is not bad enough, someone posted the video on the internet for the whole world to see, making me look like a complete fool. I lean my back on the tree and look down, trying to hide my soaked eyes and hold myself together.

"You shouldn't listen to what people say about you," she says, her voice soothing. "I mean, it's just Instagram. I bet those who commented about you are just some losers with no life."

Her words make me even more curious instead. "Wh-what did they say?"

"Nah..." She waves her hand back and forth in front of her face. "It's nothing. You really shouldn't read it."

My curiosity peaks. Pursing my lips together for a quick second, I decide to take out my phone from my sling bag and check it.

"Hey," Sophia warns me, placing her well-manicured slender fingers over my phone, "You really shouldn't look at that."

I give a small, assuring smile. "Thanks for your concern. But... I really need to see it."

Her eyebrows slightly arch upwards as she inhales and shrugs, silently saying, 'I've warned you'. Then, she retracts her hand.