Chapter Eleven - Criminally Me

~♡~Mac's POV~♡~

I'm going to jail for this.

Sweat fills my hands and drips from my temple. My heart is pounding so loud I'm afraid it will fall off my chest anytime soon. I bite my lip, trying to calm myself down, but my hands won't stop shaking.

I'm so going to jail for this!

I close my eyes, shake my head ferociously and take a long, deep breath. Relax, Mackenzie. No one's going to catch you if you act normal.

... Right?

The sound of fingers being snapped in front of my face brings me back to reality. When I open my eyes, the first thing I see is Sophia's fair hand. Today she's wearing a black nail-polish to complete her grunge look: black leather outfits, smoky eyes, and dark lipstick.

"Hello? Earth to Mackenzie?" Sophia asks, still snapping her fingers back and forth in front of me.

"Uh-huh." I gulp and try to put on a calm face. "You were saying?"

"Remember the plan," she continues, her determination shines in her blue-green eyes. "Get in, take a few photos, and collect as much information as you can. Got it?"

I try to give a firm nod but ends up giving a small, hesitated one instead. "Got it."

Sophia takes a deep breath and puts on her sunglasses. Then, she turns around and walks towards the tall building not far from us.

The luxurious apartment building has exactly thirty-four floors. How do I know this? Because our target lives on the 34th floor – the top floor.

The penthouse.

The guy is filthy rich, for Christ's sake! Way richer than Dylan!

A small sigh escapes my lips. Sophia told me our target's family owns a hotel chain – the biggest one in the state; which is why it makes sense for a twenty-one-year-old heir like him to live alone in a freaking penthouse.

Sophia also said he's one of the most unattainable bachelors in the area and my first mission as a bad girl is to seduce him.

Seduce him.

Who am I? Mata Hari?

Sophia and I both know how impossible that is. That's why we're about to break into his apartment to gain information that can be used to my advantage.

Ugh. Why am I doing this again?

"W-wait, wait, wait!" I chase after her. Walking backward in front of her, I ask, "Are you sure we should do this?"

She stops abruptly, causing me to do the same. Slipping her sunglasses down a little, she raises her brow and glares at me. Her glare is so sharp I flinch a little. "We've talked about this, remember?"

"I-I mean..." my voice trembles a little out of fear. At this point, I'm not sure which I fear the most: jail or Sophia. "We could get arrested, Sophia!"

She lets out a small sigh and takes off her sunglasses. "I've told you, we are not going to jail, Mac. Relax! Don't be so paranoid!"

"B-b-but, we're going to commit breaking and entering, and the last time I check, it is still a crime!" I say with a pace faster than a bullet train.

Her lips twitch a little, making me think she's having second thoughts. A quick second later, she puts her poker face back on. "It's not if we don't get caught."