Chapter Eight - Say Hello to the New Me

It's strange when the person looking back at you from the mirror doesn't resemble you at all.

Yes, I know I might be over-exaggerating when I said that. After all, it's not like I got some plastic surgeries done to my face or anything. But, I'm still in awe of how much wonder a hair cut, hair dye, and a few dabs of makeup can do.

The girl in my reflection looks pretty and sweet, yet seductive – the exact opposite of me.

This is the first time I let my hair down in years – if you don't count special occasions like parties and such, of course. Usually, I always tie it into a neat ponytail since I find it more comfortable that way. But since Sophia threw away all my hairband, letting my hair loose is the only option I have. For now, at least.

Meanwhile, the light makeup Sophia taught me yesterday really brings out my best features. The use of concealer helps to cover my dark circles and slight discoloration on my cheeks, while the different shades of bronzers make my cheekbones more prominent, enhancing my bone structure while at the same time makes my naturally pale skin looks much healthier.

But the best thing is: I don't look like a clown. In fact, my makeup is so natural, if a stranger meets me on the street, I don't think they'll realize that I'm wearing any!

To be honest, I always thought that makeups are overrated. A lot of people overdo it and end up looking like a clown instead of getting more beautiful. But, I guess I was wrong. I look ten thousand times prettier with this no-makeup makeup.

My gaze trails down to my – well, Sophia's – choice of clothing. At first glance, my schiffy white blouse may look simple. But, my collarbone and shoulder are shown off thanks to its sweetheart neckline. A smile grows on the corner of my lips when I see my chest looks bigger with this shirred blouse on. Meanwhile, a glimpse of my flat stomach is revealed because the blouse is cut right above my waist. But I won't have to worry about showing too much skin because the high-waisted skirt covers most of my stomach. The pleats on the mini skirt also create the illusion that I have bigger hips and longer legs than I really do.

Bye, bye, matchstick.

As I raise my right leg and cross it behind my left leg, my eyes slowly trail to the brown ankle boots I'm wearing. It's amazing how my legs look slimmer with these simple boots on. The two-inches heels also add more height to me – which is never really a bad thing when you're only five-foot-two.

Then, I can't help but wonder what people will think when they see the new me.

Will they think I'm pretty? I sure do.

Will everyone stares at me with their jaws dropped to the ground? I doubt it.

But most importantly, will they hate my new look?

The last question causes my mind to wander to last night's conversation with Sophia.

"Don't be surprised if people giggle at you, or even laugh right at your face," Sophia's words still ring loudly in my ears.

"Wait, I thought–"

"Yes." She rolled her eyes. "I know in movies, a girl gets a makeover and suddenly, the wind blows her hair perfectly when she walks like she's in some kind of a photo shoot. Then the whole school drops to their knees, worshipping her like she's some kind of a goddess." She paused, letting out a small sigh as her gaze slowly softens. "But this is not that kind of movie, Mac."

I blinked and bit my lower lip, not knowing what to say.

"Haters are going to hate you no matter what you do. That's reality."