Chapter Twenty-Six - Back to Basics

One month of community service.

I still can't believe the three of us get away with only one month of community service and a three-month probation—meaning we can't get involved in any kind of trouble for the next three months or else we're going straight to jail.

Other than that, my parents have taken hostage of my car and any access to my credit cards for at least six months; and now I have a misdemeanor added in my criminal record—which probably is going to affect my future career. Still, I'm very thankful I don't have to go to prison.

With an orange vest wrapped around my chest and a tray of food on my hands, I whistle as I walk to the main hall where the elderly are waiting for their lunch. Our punishment requires us to help out in a local nursing home. I haven't stepped into any social service center nor charity organization since I started the whole 'bad girl' project, but to be honest, stepping into this place feels like coming back home.

Well, I haven't actually been into this place per se, but still; the thought of giving back to the community has always been somewhat of a calling for me. I can't believe how much I've missed helping out people in need, talking nonsense to the elderly, and just... be a good person in general.

"Have you removed the peas for me, dear?" the grey-haired lady asks as I place the bowl of soup in front of her.

"Of course, Ruthie," I reply with a smile.

She giggles in return. "Thanks, dear. Chess later?"

"Absolutely," I reply.

As I'm about to head back to the kitchen to help out with the rest of the cooking duty, a familiar voice calls for me, "M?"

"Oh, Nathaniel!" Ruthie says. "How nice to see you again!"

Nathaniel? I turn around and see the brown-haired boy walking towards us. My eyes light up in an instant. "Nate?" An unexpected smile is formed across my face. "Oh my God! What are you doing here?"

He can't possibly be doing time like I do, can he? My lips curve down slightly as the thought comes across my mind.

"I..." As the corners of his lips tug upwards, he blinks repeatedly, still stunned to see me. "I help out here in my free time." He switches his gaze towards Ruthie and bends down to give her a hug. "And nice to see you too, Ruthie."

"So..." He straightens himself and looks at me. "What are you doing here?" His gaze then trails down to my neon-orange jacket. Narrowing his eyes, the smile on his face grows into an amused one. "Did you..."

"Yep." I nod, pursing my lips into a tight line. A tinge of pink colors my cheek. "I got arrested."

He chuckles. Observing the light bruises on my face, he asks, "Got into another bar fight, I suppose?"

"Yeah." I let out a few nervous chuckles. "I'll make sure to follow your advice next time and go get the bouncer instead."

He smiles warmly and jokes, "Orange looks good on you though."

I don't know why but I find myself giggling like a thirteen-year-old. "Well, don't get used to it. This is my first and last time wearing this." I gesture at my vest. "Anyway, I have to head back to the kitchen now, so..."

"Talk to you later?" he asks, to my surprise.

I bit my lip, struggling to contain my ever-growing smile. "Sure."

I'm starting to think that maybe, just maybe, getting back to my roots isn't so bad after all.

***