Chapter One-The Date

Authors note!: First off, thanks for reading The Gift :) I hope it keeps all of your interests. I am trying to find more followers right now, so hopefully I'll get some after this book! I really hope you enjoy this book. Thanks! :)

***********

I looked into the mirror, trying to find myself under the black sparkly dress, the makeup, and the hair. I couldn't see my regular everyday self. But then again, this wasn't a regular everyday night. Dylan was finally going to take me out tonight. I just hoped so much that I wouldn't ruin it.

My inky black hair was in pins on my head. I knew my icey, light blue eyes looked a bit brighter, because of my eyeliner and light eyeshadow. I put a light red lipstick on my lips, just to add to my looks. And my black and white dress, almost grey too, went to my mid-thighs. I had black five inch heels on my feet. My skin looked a bit more pale, since the black really brought the lightness of my skin out.

I was shaking. It would be my first night out with anyone I had ever liked. I was quite happy that my first date would be with Dylan. He seemed to understand me. He knew what to say and when to say it. I was happy that I wouldn't be thinking about my parents for once. Or my little sisters. This foster thing was getting to be too much, and I was especially glad to be going out with Dylan.

I walked out of the bathroom, and then I grabbed a black thin sweatshirt to put on if I needed it. It was pretty chilly outside, but I didn't care. I wanted to show off how hard I tried to get to the point of looking good enough for Dylan.

I walked out into the living room to see my foster brother eating chips and watching the news. I frowned and came to sit next to him for a second.

"Hey, Jerm," I smiled at him. He grinned brightly at me and put the chips beside him in awe, surprised to see me looking so pretty. He hadn't seen me look at all happy or pretty since I came here. My family had been on my mind. The crash I shouldn't have survived...I blamed myself, even though I know none of it was my fault. Although, now that wasn't on my mind. My date was.

"Stand up and twirl for me!" He told me, smiling. I grinned and stood up, and twirled a few times, showing him how sassy I could be. He grinned and stood up with me, wrapping his big arms around me.

"I'm so glad you're trying to move on," he told me. I smiled and hugged him back. I was too, to be honest. If I kept acting like the world was out to get me, I would never get anywhere in life. All I wanted was to have a good night. Hopefully it would work out.

"I am, too, Jeremy." I said when he let go.

"Make sure you bring a coat, and don't forget to show Mom and Dad your outfit. You look stunning." He said to me. I smiled, and walked into the kitchen, where I saw my foster mom, Kim, cooking up a storm, while my foster dad, Tim, attempted to learn how to cut tomatos. I laughed and kissed him on the cheek, and then I walked to Kim.

"Oh, honey, you look absolutely beautiful!" Kim cried, abandoning her perfect broth and went in to hug me. When she let go, she smiled warmly at me. I swore I could see a bit of sympathy in her eyes as she said, "I'm so happy you chose to go out tonight, sweetie. It really will be okay. As long as that boy comments on how gorgeous you look, and also treats you like a lady all night."

I giggled, and said, "I'll be fine, Kim. Thank you, really, for the support." I knew things would be okay as long as my Gift stayed out of the way, in my mind only tonight. It was the best night I was about to experience, but I knew if my powers got in the way I would be in trouble. I knew no one knew about my powers. I couldn't trust anyone except my mom. She was still teaching me how to control my Gift before she died...now I had to figure it out alone.