Chapter Seventeen-The Escape

Last night I had washed Blizzard, as much as he complained and groaned, and then gave him some food and I even shared my bed with him. He pretty much took up a third of it. 

But that didn't matter anymore. I was dressed in a long sleeve, black above-the-knee dress, with black and white converse, and leggings that went to my knee. I put my hair into a pony tail, and then looked at my single bag I had packed. I knew I probably should have packed more, but when I looked at all the things I had wanted to pack, I was thinking I needed a quick escape. So I grabbed some food for Blizzard, extra clothes, and rubber bands for my hair. 

And today was the first day I had the courage to put the necklace my mom had given me around my neck. It was a heart shaped locket, and it held a picture of me and my family in it. I could barely see it, but I knew if I looked at it I would never forget them. I knew right now they would say either I was making the right choice, or I was making the worst mistake of my life. Either way, I had to learn on my own.

My mom had told me to wear the necklace when I was afraid, or if I felt like I needed advice, or if I just wanted to connect with her. It was almost like she knew she was going to die.

I finally took a deep breath, and looked over to Blizzard.

"I'm going to trust him, Blizzard. I know, it's probably gonna be my biggest regret. But I have to. We need answers. Stay in here, and watch for anything, alright? If a stray dog comes in the window...turn the T.V on loud. I'll come and get you. Stay in here and don't come out, okay? I don't want anything to happen to you."

"You're treating me like a child. But fine, I'll stay in here, and be on the lookout." He rolled his eyes and rested his head on his paws. I smiled, kissed his head, and turned. 

I sighed, looked at my door, and walked out. I saw Jeremy watching a movie like always, and for once, Kim was right there. I took a deep breath. Don't chicken out, Nichole. You have this. Just be calm...listen to what they say...

"Oh, you look lovely, Nichole. You going out?" Kim asked. Jeremy patted the seat next to him. I shook my head, as I sat down, getting prepared to talk to them.

"No...just felt like getting dressed. I need to tell you guys something really important," I said. Kim's eyes lit up excitedly, confusing me, but Jeremy frowned. I explained everything to them, everything but what Eli had said. I pretty much left everything that happened yesterday out of the story, except that people wanted me. But I didn't tell them why. And when I was done, Kim smirked.

"You're safe here, Nichole." Kim assured me. My heart sank into my stomach, and I felt nauseous. I was safe...with her....that's not good.

Run?

Stay.

No, run. 

I forced myself to gulp all my feelings away, and I heard Jeremy say, "She's not safe here, Mom! She's in danger. She's not safe anywhere."

"Jeremy," Kim warned him, her eyes growing wide. "Leave it alone. She's safe here." She looked over at her phone. "I'm gonna...make a phone call. I'll be right back." 

She left with her phone, closing the door behind her. Jeremy shook his head, and stood up furiously. 

"That woman is crazy. You're not safe here. You should get out of here." Jeremy looked at me. "But you can't go alone..." 

He cursed. "Damn, alright, I'm coming with you. Okay?"

"One second," I walked over silently over to Kim's door. I was such a good eavesdropper.

"...Yes, I got her. I didn't even know until she told me. You got the money, right?" silence.... "Great. Bring it and I'll see you in twenty."

My heart thudded again, just like yesterday. I felt sort of lightheaded.