Chapter 43

"I'll carry Luca on my back." Malik tells us.

We were outside of the house, finally, and we were figuring out how to get people home.

"Hell no. You can barely carry yourself. You're not carrying Luca on your back." Ansaldo growls at his beta, with Luca in his arms.

"But-"

"No. Do you want him to get even more hurt?" Ansaldo tilts his head.

Malik just huffs and crosses his arms, clearly losing the debate.

"Great. Now that we're all in agreement, let's get back to the vans so we can get home as quickly as possible." My mate carefully hands Luca to Enzo, before switching into his light gray wolf.

Enzo carefully put Luca on Quilos back, making sure he was secure.

Everyone else quickly shifted, and I trotted over to Malik to stay by his side in case anything happens to him. Looking around as we were leaving, my eyes catch Elizabeth's body.

It reassured me. She won't be bothering us anymore. She's finally dead and we can move on with our lives like we were supposed to.

Turning away, I don't give her the respect of burying her to protect her body from other animals out there. She doesn't deserve it.

I trailed behind the pack with Malik, carefully walking by his side so he can get the support from me when he needs to. And he does, he leans on me a few times, especially when it got too steep for his liking.

Just as we were about to the vans, I almost tumble to the ground as Malik shifted all of his wolfs weight on mine.

'Malik, a little too much weight.' I linked him. But it didn't go through.

'Malik?' I try again, waiting for a response. Nothing.

I struggle to look up and catch a glimpse of his face, and his eyes were shut.

'Shit. I need a little help back here!' My wolf mindlinked the pack, and Kay came bouncing down the slope as quick as possible.

'Here, try to get him on my back.' She instructs. She lowers herself so she's relatively flat against the ground, and I push Malik's wolf at an angle so he lays on her back.

'You got him?' I ask her.

'Yep. Now we just need to get home as fast as possible.'

———

Three days have passed.

Three total days of chaos mixed with relief.

Luca was top priority for the pack doctors, and they told Ansaldo and I that if we hadn't gotten there when we did, he would not have lived to see another sunrise.

Lucas been weaving in and out of consciousness since. Sometimes he'll mumble something, or flutter his eyes open a tiny bit, but other than that he hasn't woken.

Malik was also rushed in and cleaned and stitched up. He was only out for maybe 30 hours at most.

But he's awake now, and his wolf is quickly healing him back up. Lucas not so lucky with that process. But the doctors told Malik that if he stayed by Luca, he would heal faster. It's some sort of traditional mate science, but we still have to see if it'll work.

Malik was always by Lucas side. Even if he wasn't instructed to be by him at certain times, he would always find a way.

I kept an eye on everyone in the hospital as much as I possibly could, but it was a little hard to do when you're pregnant and really close to your due date.

I also kept an eye on Nico for Malik and Luca. Every now and then I would take her down to Malik so he could spend some time with her as well.

So today when I took her down to see her parents, I did not expect to see Lucas hand weakly raised and gently resting against Malik's cheek.

The beta sat on the bed Luca laid in, looking down on him and softly crying.

When Malik leaned down to kiss his mate, that's when I quietly made my way out of the room, not wanting to disturb their private moment. I'll wait a few minutes.

I put Nico in a nearby rocker, and I smell my mate enter the room. I sit down nearby Nico, just to keep a careful eye on her.

I feel Ansaldo sit behind me, and he pulls me closely into him, my back against his chest, his legs spread out straight to the sides of my legs.

"I can't wait until our own pups arrive." He whispers in my ear. As he wraps his arms around me.

I hum. "Soon."

"You're already so good with Nico. This just proves you're going to be amazing with ours." He continues.

I smile and let out a laugh. "Did you assume I wasn't going to be a good parent in the first place?"

I feel him shake his head. "I always knew you'd be a great parent, Tesoro."

I press myself closer to him. We both silently stay together for what feels like an hour, but its probably only been maybe 10 minutes.

We hear someone come in Nicos nursery, and I look back and see Malik.

"Hey, I noticed Lucas awake. How is he?" I greet him.

He smiles. Finally, a smile from Malik that I haven't seen in ages. I missed his cheery personality.

"He's ok. He doesn't remember anything after he was taken, but we were told it has a possibility of slowly coming back. The whip marks on his back were done with silver, so they're going to scar up."  He tries his best to not appear mad or upset in his tone while explaining this to me and Sal.

"At least he's alive." I reassure.

He nods, and makes his way over to Nico and picks her up.

"I'm going to take Nico to see Luca. Only goddess knows how much they need to catch up." He bounces his giggling daughter.

We both nod as he leaves, and I begin to feel an uncomfortable burning sensation in my lower stomach. I squirm around in Ansaldos grip.

"Are you ok?" He worriedly asks me.

I try not to scrunch up my face in pain. It didn't feel like a contraction, so it probably wasn't anything to worry to much about.

"Yeah, I'll be fine. Don't worry about it."

———

(I love you guys, but my phone has been constantly blowing up with notifications of you guys voting and commenting on my stories for about 3 days now 😂

I appreciate the support and following this story is gaining though. Y'all are the bessttt!)