F I V E.

I can't stop laughing. And not tiny giggles. Huge, gasping, belly laughs. The three men stare at me, bewildered. I keel over, clutching my aching stomach.

"Are you alright, Elizabeth?" President Harper asks, seeming only mildly concerned. 

"Lizzy," I tell him, my laughter dying off. Seriously, how hard is it to remember the name? "And I'm fine."

"You don't look it." Lucas mutters. I shoot him a dark look.

President Harper claps his hands together once. "Any questions, kiddos?"

Oliver stiffens.

"Just one," I say in a sweet voice. "Umm, how come no one told me that we were going to have to go past the frickin' border? Into Creeper infested Wilds? Are you trying to kill us?" I demand. 

"Young lady, it sounds terrible when you put it like that." The president guffaws.

"That's because it is," Lucas growls. 

The president brushes off our concern and pries the door open.

"Well, you will be leaving tomorrow morning and as soon as the fourth one comes, Janice will take you to your bunks."

"Wait, tomorrow?" I gasp.

The president closes the door behind him, not answering my question. I dig my fingers into my hair, tugging anxiously. I can't believe this is happening to me. I'm only 19 and tomorrow, I'll be walking towards my death. The president can't be clueless enough to not realize how much danger we'll be in.

Of course not. What's four kids to him?

He'll probably just put four more kids in our place. And again, and again. Like we're disposable robots, or something. 

I scowl and lean against the cold concrete wall. Now I can see why Mom complains about the government so much.

Mom.

A pang of guilt resonates in me. I never got to say goodbye to her. Ken will probably tell her I gave my life for a worthy cause, and spew other complete nonsense in order to convince her. She'll be alone. 

The door creaks open once more and I jump, every muscle tense. A girl flounces in, practically dripping with money. Every inch of her screams rich, from her fancy aviator glasses to her bracelet. Her huge blond ponytail sways as she walks, swishing back and forth. When she removes her glasses, she surveys us with blue-gray eyes. She hums, underwhelmed.

She turns to Janice. "My daddy didn't tell me we'd be going to the forest."

Janice jerks her chin at the three of us. "They'll explain. I'll be back in a few minutes to escort you to the room."

She leaves us and the rich girl looks around the small room with distaste.

"So what's this mission everyone's talking about?" Lucas pushes off the wall, his smirk returning full-fledge.

"I don't think I've had the pleasure," he purrs smoothly. She seems unaffected by him.

"That's because we just met, moron." I snap. Lucas seethes at me but returns his attention to the girl, who's started to make her way around the room.

"We're going to die. That's all you need to know." I say sardonically.

Her blue eyes widen. "What?" She squeaks.

Oliver huffs, rolling his eyes. "We're going past the border to find a serum to cure the virus." Her hand flutters to the hollow of her tan neck and she gasps. I roll my eyes at her exaggerated moves. She sure knows how to act. 

"I don't think I can do this," she mumbles, making way for the door.

I block her way.

"We don't have a choice, rich girl. They aren't going to let you leave." She turns her nose up at me.

"Like you said, I'm rich. I'll get out of here. You just watch."

"I will." 

She tosses her hair in my face and continues to observe, with Lucas trailing at her heels like a puppy. Pathetic.

Janice sweeps in a moment later and the girl pounces.

"Listen, I appreciate that you selected me for this assignment but we all agree that for the good of the mission and the country, it would be better if you pick someone else. I'm not fit for this role." She flashes Janice a mega-watt smile. 

Janice doesn't relent. "I don't think so, Ms. Gilmore. Come, your bunks are ready." The girl's smile fades into a pout and I jostle her shoulder as I pass, triumphant.

"What did I tell you?"

"Shut up."

We traipse behind Janice in silence, a solemn procession. I look at the other three people and feel my hopes dropping with every step. I have to somehow find a hidden bunker, in the heart of the Wilds, escaping bloodthirsty Creepers, all with the meager assistance of a insufferable jock, a prissy rich girl, and a mime who acts like a rock.

I'm doomed.

Janice stops at another metal door and pulls it open to reveal two sets of bunk beds.

"Sweet dreams." She says cheerfully, practically pushing us inside. We all protest but she hears none of it as she shuts the door closed.

"We're going to have to sleep in here together." The rich girl says, looking horrified. 

"Brilliant, Holmes." She shoots me a dirty look and throws her purse on the bottom bunk.

Lucas shimmies up the ladder and throws himself on the top bunk with a satisfied smirk. Oliver glares at him.

"Who said you could have top bunk?"

"I did."

Oliver storms up to him. "Get down."

"Make me."

"Alright, I will." I tug on Oliver's arm and he whips around, surprised.

"What are you, toddlers?" I shake my head. "Idiots." Oliver narrows his eyes at me as I crawl up the ladder to the top. The rich girl takes out her cell phone and holds it up at various positions, her lips tilted in frustration.

"There's no signal here!" She wails.

I snort. "We're in the middle of nowhere, rich girl."

"My name is Aria."

"Whoop-dee-dang-do." I twirl a finger lazily. The corner's of Oliver's lips quirk up slightly.

"You better not fall on me," she warns as I bounce lightly on the bunk. I scoff lightly then smirk down at her. I don't weigh that much.

"No promises."