T W E N T Y - F O U R.

I think this is what you would call a lose-lose situation. Good news, we found Quinn, although it had taken nearly 50 minutes and it is now completely dark out. Bad news?

There's a Creeper standing not more than five feet away from her. The four of us are frozen, not daring to move a finger. The Creeper is a meek deer, but a Creeper all the less. The spikes glisten in the ripe moonlight, sharpened to a wicked point. It looks spindly, hinting that it's been a Creeper for decades. Pity rises in me; it's just a deer. What did it do to deserve this life? 

Unfortunately, the virus isn't picky. 

Aria's lower lip trembles violently and I have a sneaking suspicion she's gonna cry. It's one thing to die because of your own stupidity, but an innocent child dying because you had been distracted? That would be heart-shattering.

"We need to save her." Aria whispers urgently to me. Her eyes have bugged out and when I realize what she means, I shake my head firmly, hair stinging my cheek.

"We agreed not to kill any!" I hiss to her. 

Aria gives me a pained look, wringing her hands. "We don't have a choice! What if it tries to hurt her?"

"Then we'll dissuade it. And besides, if it were trying to kill her, it would've done it by now." 

Aria sits back on her heels, frustrated. 

Oliver inhales sharply. I look up to see Quinn reaching out to the Creeper with a chubby hand. The deer doesn't move, only it's haunches twitching slightly. She rests her hand on the Creeper's nose, her hand splayed around the spikes. The deer puffs a snort and lowers it's elongated neck, ears flicking back and forth. 

It huffs into her hand and Quinn giggles delightedly. I've never been the type of person to sob in a movie theater at a heartfelt moment, but my heart melts a bit at the sight. It makes my determination rev up. I have to convince the three of them to help me pitch the idea to the president. I gave my word, after all. Although I may frequent the Ardmore station, I go through with my promises. 

Aria reaches behind me, arm outstretched. She grasps a stick, clamping her hands on either side. I realize her intention and frantically shake my head no. If the Creeper gets frightened, who knows what it would do to Quinn! 

"Aria-"

She snaps it clean in half, the sound reverberating through the clearing. The deer's ears prick up and without a second thought, it darts into the dark trees. Quinn stares after it mournfully but her smile returns full-fledged when Aria hurries from our vantage point behind the bush.

"Oh, sweetie, we were so worried! You shouldn't have run off like that!" Aria gently scolds. 

"But he looked so lonely," says Quinn softly. I take a step towards her.

"I know, Quinn, I know. But that doesn't mean you should leave without one of us. It's still dangerous out here." 

"I don't think it is," replies Quinn thoughtfully. "Mama said I was born here, that this is my home. I don't think it would hurt me." 

"We're taking you home." Aria consoles.

Quinn disagrees with a firm shake of her head. "Mama told me that my home is destroyed."

My mouth forms an O, as sadness sinks heavy in my gut. Quinn has lived in the Lock her whole life and has probably known nothing else. Olive must've known the seriousness of the breach.

"Quinn, honey, do you want to know something my dad told me?" A small smile settles on my lips. "He used to tell me that home isn't a place. It's the place where you feel loved, where you feel like you can be who you are. Home is whatever you need it to be or want it to be." 

The five of us are silent, contemplating my words. He told me this when our first house burned down, when I was young. I was crying, and he had taken me aside and told me that. As I was about 6, I didn't understand exactly what he had been saying, but now it makes more sense than ever.