T W E N T Y - F I V E.

I still can't believe we made it back. After being in the Wilds for months... seeing the shimmering cerulean of the border feels like the utmost blessing. Even though I'm not religion, when the border comes into view, I send a small prayer to whoever's up there, watching over us. Quinn's eyes widen with every step we take. She's never seen the barrier before, probably only stories. I get how she's feeling.

"It's so... big." She says finally. We laugh. 

The trip back had been much, much shorter than the way there, thankfully. Another two weeks out here and I might just go bonkers. I'm tired, hungry, thirsty, and everything in between. But it had been worth it. 

The guards are hazy from the opposite side of the barrier and we wave at them and yell desperately. One guard jogs off leisurely. I scowl. A turtle could get there before him. 

After what feels like too long, I catch sight of a familiar woman, in a sharply tailored suit.

Janice

I practically cry in relief. Even though she's a prick, it's nice to see a familiar face. The barrier slices open, narrow enough for only us to dart through. The sweet-smelling Washington pine on the other side is a breath of relief, and I eagerly gulp in the clear air. The Wilds always had a scent of decay in the air, albeit faint. The mountain air on the other side feels better than ever. 

I turn to Janice, noting her painstakingly forced smile. More like a grimace, really. The feeling is mutual. I don't really like Janice all that much either. 

"You're back!" She exclaims, her voice overly cheery. It's clear she didn't expect us back for weeks.

"We have it," confirms Oliver. She smiles at him and condescendingly pats his hair. Oliver's face darkens. She can't be that much more older than him.

"Wonderful. Now, the president is expected for breakfast tomorrow so I want you to sleep well and be fresh. And please," she holds her nose. "take a shower." 

I'm more than happy to oblige.

After a filling dinner of coleslaw and sliders, a celebratory meal for us, I'm drowsy beyond belief. That shower felt like heaven and I took my time. After everything, I deserve a good soak. All five us are clean and fresh, full from the evening's food. 

"Who's taking Quinn tonight?" yawns Lucas.

"I'll do it," I volunteer. The girl clings to my legs. Poor thing. She's probably overwhelmed from everything she's seen.

"Let's go to bed, Quinn," I soothe, bundling her into my arms and marching her off. The rhythm of my steps quickly lull her into a sleep. Aria pouts; she thinks herself to be the surrogate mother of Quinn, which is so not true, considering the three of us have been pulling our weight just as much. 

I shoulder the door open and gingerly place her lanky form on the cot next to mine. Thankfully, Janice agreed to give us separate rooms. After sleeping near the others for months, I'm craving some time to myself. I mean, I don't mind them, but being around the same people for weeks at a time is tiresome to say the least. 

I flop on my bed, the mattress soft under my back. I sigh, snuggling into the sparse, military blanket I had been given.

It hadn't been more than five minutes before Quinn starts to cry out, calling for Olive and sniffling. I roll myself off my cot, exhausted and weary. 

"Mama!" Quinn wails, thrashing. The blanket's already on the floor. I lift her up and promptly receive a kick to the chin. I hiss through my teeth at the pain and keep Quinn a bit farther away. She's started to settle down but she still whimpers, eyes closed. I release a breath through my nose, setting her on my bed. I curl in next to her, winding my body around her.

"Where's my mama?"

I rub her hair.

"You're alright, honey, you're alright." I repeat the words until she falls asleep and soon, I start to believe them myself.