N I N E.

"I can't do this." Aria repeats. I roll my eyes. She's been saying the same dang words for the whole hour. 

"It's not like you have a choice, princess." I snap at her, anger flaring in me. She isn't the only one scared here. Sure, her head was almost bitten off by a bear a few hours ago, but so was mine. I had been in as much danger as she had. 

Lucas rolls himself up, sighing. When we'd retreated to our select tents, Aria had shrieked for us to stay with her. She legit sounded like a parrot. Oliver sleeps peacefully, broad shoulders rising and falling. Aria edges a bit closer to him. It's obvious she prefers him over everyone else, probably because he didn't treat her like the crybaby she is. 

"Will you shut up? It's one thing making us sleep out here. Can you at least let us try and get some shut-eye?"

"How can you possibly sleep when they're out there, crawling around?" Her eyes are wide and she trembles. "Just wait, Lucas. One of them is going to jump out and drag you off."

"I'll take my chances," he mutters grumpily. Like every other normal teenager, Lucas is crabby without sleep. So am I, but Aria's making it impossible. I sit up, the exhaustion vanishing. There's no possible way I'm going to sleep now.

"Get up, boys." Lucas growls, flinching away from me.

"Are you trying to get us killed? How am I supposed to fight off Creepers if I don't sleep?" He demands. I smirk.

"If I recall, I was the one who stabbed that bear." 

"If you're so full of yourself, then why don't you get the serum yourself?" Lucas snarls. 

I sigh. "Look, I'm sorry, Lucas. I couldn't have killed him without your and Oliver's help. Happy?" 

"Hardly."

Oliver shifts up, eyes bleary. He yawns, loud. "What's going on?"

"We have to make a plan." Lucas raises a brow.

"We do. Get in, get out, don't get killed."

I shoot him a look. "Thanks a lot, nimrod."

Oliver chuckles as I continue. "We need to be more prepared. I don't doubt we'll have more run-ins with the Creepers but preferrably, we should avoid it. Agreed?"

Everyone nods, including Aria.

"So, I suggest we take this route instead." I unfold the crinkled map and point to a spot right next to some river.

Oliver's lips twist. "You want to go alongside the canyon?"

I nod, affirming his words. "I think it will be a better option than going in the woods, where we're wide open. The woods are the Creeper's territory and they know the land better than us. They have every advantage for a sneak attack."

Lucas stares at me, incredulous. "How do you know all this stuff?"

"My dad was a war buff," I tell him dismissively. Saying it stings but I press forward.

"It may be a detour, but not by much. By my calculations, we should be there within a few weeks time."

Aria snorts. "I don't trust your calculations. How old are you, 16?"

I seethe at her. "I'm 19. Watch yourself, rich girl."

"Girls," Oliver interrupts. Aria shuts right up, thank god. "I think Lizzy has a point. With the canyon, we have a vantage point. I think her calculations are right, as well. It's a good plan." I look at him, shocked. He quirks a half-smile at me in response. Aria whips her head back and forth, clearly unhappy that Oliver's agreed with me over her. 

"Are we done talking?" Lucas snips, dreariness heavy in his tone.

I flail a hand at him, irritated. "Fine. Go back to sleep. Get eaten by a Creeper, see if I care."

Lucas crosses his arms, muscles flexing. "Are you always like this?"

"Like what?"

"Infuriating."

I grin at him toothily. "Thank you."

He glowers. "It wasn't a compliment." 

"Oh, I'm so hurt." I gasp, mock-wounded. I draw a hand over my heart. 

"Both of you, shut up." Oliver says easily. "If you want to get out of this alive, stop bickering. Creepers won't wait for you to finish arguing."

We both gulp, knowing how right he is.

"Is there anything else, Lizzy?" Oliver directs his words to me. I shake my head and Lucas flops against his sleeping bag in relief.

"Thank God. I thought you would never shut your mouth."

I punch him in response.