T W E N T Y - T H R E E.

I hate awkward silences. I shuffle my feet around, massaging them so I can keep my eyes off of the other three's expressions. Oliver looks blank, as if he can't comprehend what I'm saying at all. Aria's face is so scrunched up, I can't even see her eyes anymore. Lucas just stares openly, suspicion etched across his face. 

"Will someone say something?" I sigh, dragging a weary hand over my face. My eyelids have begun to feel like bricks and I'm yearning to hit the sack. But I need to come to some kind of agreement with the other three.

Bill's explanation makes so much sense. That's why the arrows were pointing the other way; the serum in the syringe is meant for the Creepers, to reverse the mutation. I feel so clear-headed now, more determined. I have a chance to bring Dad and Sam back, and I'm not going to let it fly past. 

"You're mental." Lucas says shortly. It's not what I meant, but it's better than the stifling silence. Even though it's chillingly cold out here, sweat has broken over me. 

"Lizzy, you don't seriously believe the word of an old man. All you saw in that cave were mindless paintings, nothing else." Oliver says, trying to convince me. I pigheadedly shake my head.

"I know what I saw, Oliver. Please, you have to trust me!" 

"I do trust you."

I chuckle bitterly. "Tell that to your face." 

Aria deliberates her next words carefully. "Lizzy, what you're saying may be possible..."

My heart lifts.

"... but no one will listen, because you have no proof." 

My heart splatters on my shoes. 

"I do have proof!" I protest, feeling like a kid. I can't help it; as much as I'd hate to admit it, I couldn't convince anyone without the others' help. 

"What, the word of a senile old man who's been in the Wilds for 8 years? And some shady paintings you found on a rock?" Aria twists her lips, offering me a regretful smile. I wouldn't say it out loud, but I know Aria is right. If I bring this up to the president, he'll dismiss me easily. 

We're silent again.

"I just..." tears well up and I will myself to force them away. "I just thought this could be my chance to..."

I stop before the words come out. I don't want Lucas and Aria to pity me. Oliver sits solemnly, looking anywhere but at me. I'm grateful for the small action; my mother used to say that sometimes, the smallest of things can have the biggest of impacts. 

"Chance to?" probes Lucas impatiently. Frantic, I get to my feet and tilt my head down, refusing to let them see my tearful eyes. 

"Nothing," I tell him bluntly, letting my face cover each side of my face like a curtain. "It's my turn to sleep with Quinn, right? Quinn, time for bed!" 

There's no response. My brows kiss in confusion. Even after a week of being out here, Quinn's too terrified to be out and about by herself. Lucas has been pretty grumpy the whole time; he drew the short straw so has has to take Quinn to the bathroom. 

"Quinn, honey?" I call to her, raising my voice a bit. When again, there's no reply, my heart starts to pound so wildly that I can't hear my voice or any others. Aria darts to her feet, panic written across her face. Aria has been the main caretaker for Quinn, treating her like a sister. Oliver's body tenses completely, and he snakes his flashlight from his jean pocket. It's not completely dark but dark enough for someone to disappear.

"Quinn!" Aria hollers, just before clapping a hand over her mouth. Creepers roam at this time and we've been trying to keep a low profile. We whisper-yell for another five minutes, every time unsuccessful. 

Quinn is gone.