E I G H T E E N.

"Can I please take the blindfold off?" I laugh, squinting at the fabric covering my eyes. Sam's taking me somewhere for my eighteenth birthday, but he refused to tell me where. The whole drive there, I've been wearing this stupid bandana over my eyes.

"Nope." 

I strain my other senses, trying to decipher where we're going. The car is slowing down, hinting that we are probably almost there. Gravel pops and snaps under the tires of Sam's convertible, one of his most prized possessions. It looks like it teleported from the 80s but he loves the thing as if it's alive. 

I hear the slam of a car door and perk up. My door opens and Sam takes my hand in his, gently guiding me out of the car and onto the gravel. I grope around but feel only air. Sam laughs tenderly and reaches over, unwinding the bandana. I can feel his sharp scent of sandalwood, of the cologne I gave him from his birthday.

It takes some time for my eyes to adjust, but when they do I stop midstep. 

It's a gorgeous, glittering lake, lapping placidly at the rocky shores. I clasp a hand over my mouth, as if that would stop the tears from coming. It's pathetic that I still cry at 18, but Sam seems to think it's endearing.

"I take it you like it." He jokes. I squeeze his hand, giving him a lingering kiss on his freshly shaved cheek. 

"I love it. "

He smiles widely, the smile that I fell in love with. I've known Sam for forever; he's probably one of the most important in my life, if not the most. I fling my arms around his neck, on my tiptoes. He chuckles in surprise, the sound vibrating against my chest.

"Happy birthday, Liz. I love you." 

I kiss him on the nose. "I love you more." 

"Not possible." 

With that, he races me down to the beach, the sound of our mixed laughter echoing through the breeze.