T E N.

I'm not going to fall, I'm not going to fall, I'm not going to fall...

I repeat the thought in my head as we edge along the precarious precipice of the canyon. The minute I stepped onto this ledge, I'd wished we'd gone the Creeper route. This way is safer, sure, but it's also scarier. I've never been one for heights and this trip isn't really helping. Oliver is behind me, while Lucas and Aria are in the front. Aria's been muttering god knows what the whole trip, which Lucas has been cursing, quite colorfully, I will say. We've been moving along this ridge for a few hours, at the least, and I can feel my legs beginning to buckle.

Inflicting strength into my limbs, I soldier on, ignoring my pain. It won't do me any good now. Even though I'm scared witless, this place is pretty. Pale, swirling limestone sparkling in the open sunlight, with a peaceful, crystalline, emerald river flowing lazily below. From the height I'm at, the river looks like a ribbon, which isn't entirely comforting. It almost reminds me of the Grand Canyon, when we went there when I was young. 

I suck in a breath, flattening my stomach as I continue on. The canyon feels endless but we've been making progress. Albeit little. I've spotted some pretty spacious caves along the way, but they've been out of reach. I've yet to come across one that we can actually get to. 

Huffing, I elbow Lucas to move faster. He growls under his breath, not daring to speak. The path has been slowly narrowing, becoming windier. My steps are more measured, careful. I can't risk anything now. 

"If I die," Aria starts from the front. "I blame you, Lizzy."

"Oh, that's so sweet." I tell her sardonically. Aria stumbles but Lucas shoots out and catches her by the arm. She breathes heavily and rights herself, continuing on. I can't blame her. It's terrifying and I keep having to resist the urge to glance down. If I do, I know for a fact I'll freeze. Oliver prods me gently, a reassurance. There's something about his calmness that makes me feel better. I'm becoming more and more thankful for his rock-like tendencies. 

"How much farther?" Lucas pants.

The sun beats down on us, hard. Sweat coats me from head to toe and I inhale through my teeth, hissing. I wish I could plunge into the river below, feel it's cold.

"Don't ask me." 

"Careful," Aria calls from the front. Pressing her back against the wall, she shuffles along the side. There's a large dent in the thin path where a chunk of rock has broken off. Lucas does the same, making it to the other side. The other side is wider and they're both able to fit in together. I calm my racing nerves and move slowly, carefully. My breath shudders in my chest as I move along my tiptoes, dead silent. No one dares to move. 

"Come on, Lizzy, you can do it." Oliver urges in a low tone. I nod at him, mustering a weak smile, and continue on.

I'm going to make it.

My excitement grows until I hear a resounding crack. I look down, stricken, as the rock begins to fracture beneath my feet.

Great

Before I can say a word, the rock collapses beneath me and I'm falling, the air whipped from my lungs. I flail wildly, for anything to hold onto, even though I know it's stupid. You can't hold onto air. I let loose a scream and hold my arms up to shield myself as the river opens its mouth to swallow me whole.

It's just like my mother always says: be careful for what you wish for.

I slam into the water, swept into its freezing depths. I gasp and stutter, paddling weakly. I wished I'd listened when Dad wanted me to learn to swim. I sink under, my head smacking into a sharp stone. A honey like thickness oozes in my head and I loll back, the fight evaporating. Darkness flickers in and out, like shutters.

The one thing I see before everything goes dark is a pair of bright green eyes and a blurred hand, reaching out to me.