Chapter 16

Troy was seated opposite me. We were at a cafe, recommended by Troy. Basically, he was buying me dinner. I didn't think this was a date exactly. Whatever it was, I was having a lot of fun. Just then my phone buzzed in my pocket. I absently reached in and pulled it out. Troy conveyed our order to the waitress while I checked my phone. It was a text from Luke. Frowning slightly, I opened up the message.

'Hey Monty, What are you up to?'

I blinked at my phone. How did he know my number? Quickly, I typed a reply.

'How did you get this number? And why is your number saved in my phone?'

I placed my phone beside me and diverted my attention to Troy. "So Troy."

"So?" He asked, smiling.

"Tell me something I don't know."

"Hmm," he pretended to think about it. "Did you know that a cow's fart contributes to global warming?"

"I did not know that, no." I looked at him. "I don't know if I should be worried that you knew that." I squinted my eyes at him, in fake suspicion.

Troy grinned at me. "Hey, you asked. You should have been more specific."

"Oh so this is my fault?" I feigned shock.

"Well, who else's could it be?" He smirked, leaning back in his seat.

Rolling my eyes, I decided to change the topic. "So how do you know Donna?"

"A strategic change of topic, hmm." He rubbed his chin.

"Just answer the question."

Laughing, he gave in. "Fine fine, but only because you asked so nicely." He smiled mischievously.

"Troy."

"Alright, well, she was my sister's best friend." He folded his arms on the table.

"Was?" I questioned.

"Uh, yes, was." His eyes flickered briefly to mine. "My sister died in a drunk driving incident."

"Oh," I reached across the table, grabbing his hand. "I'm not going to tell you sorry, because I understand how annoying it is to hear people repeatedly tell you that." I gave his hand a light squeeze. "But, just know that I'm here for you."

Troy smiled at me. Pain evident in his eyes and relief in his features. "Thanks Sienna."

I smiled encouragingly at him. The waitress then walked up with our tray of food, She placed before each of us, a plate of spaghetti and meatballs.

I looked over at Troy and smiled widely, retracting my hand. "Really? You ordered this?"

"Yeah, why?" He looked at me, worried. "You don't like spaghetti?"

"No, no, I love it." I reassured. "Thank you."

Troy smiled warmly.

My phone chose that moment to vibrate. Exasperated, I checked it to see a message from Luke. I tapped it open and read it.

'I saved my number in your phone when you were passed out in my house. Remember that Sienna? ;)'

I stared at my phone in open mouth shock. Immediately, I angrily responded.

'Well, I'm busy. So, if you'll excuse me, I won't be responding to anymore of your messages.'

I put my phone aside and focused on Troy.

"Eat." He said.

Nodding, I twirled some spaghetti around my fork and lifted it up to my mouth. As I chewed, my taste buds exploded. I let out a small moan.