Chapter 49

49: It's Just Money
Since she didn't reply to his messages yesterday, Lin Miao received a call from the Young Master in the morning.

"Gege, I'm fine, I'm washing my face right now. We might only be able to return the day after tomorrow." Lin Miao said, one hand holding her smartphone, the other holding a towel.

The Young Master seemed to still want to say something, so Lin Miao added, "Gege, I have important things to do, I'll talk to you later."

The Young Master could only end the call early. "Okay, I'll call you later then."

Lin Miao hurriedly washed her face and headed out the door.

Her mother was a bit confused. "Shuishui, it just rained yesterday, are you still going out for a run?"

"Yes mommy, I have some things to do." Lin Miao responded, a bag in her hand.

Lin Miao's mother just thought that she was visiting her friends again, so she only reminded her, "Just remember to come back for breakfast soon."

Lin Miao nodded.

Many were already gathered around the empty room in Little Ling's house and the broken lock. "Someone must've helped her."

"Told you that it was impossible to familiarize with an adopted child. She just ran away like this after so many years.

"She'd never been out of the village before. She shouldn't be far from here, let's go find her."

Lin Miao clenched her fists. Don't be afraid, don't be afraid, you're an adult now. She thought, and then made her way through the crowd.

The second aunt spotted Lin Miao immediately after she appeared in the front row of people. "Shuishui, did you help break the lock?"

Around her were many families from the surrounding houses.

In them were two men who decided to follow Lin Miao's father to work outside of the village. They naturally defended Lin Miao, "Didn't Shuishui just arrive here? She's just a child, what could she know?"

"It was me." Lin Miao's heart drummed. She had been intimidated by adults since her childhood.

At the Young Master's mansion, she spoke no more than needed to answer the adult's questions, most of which were from the grandma. The remainder of her time was spent with the Young Master.

She had played with her friends in the village and greeted the adults, but in her heart, she was still scared.

Lin Miao had a fear of the adults in the village.

When she first returned from the town, many villagers joked about her, saying that her family was biased towards daughters and such...

The adults were all shocked when Lin Miao confessed. Second uncle and aunt looked as if steam were spilling out of their ears. However, she wasn't their child after all. Under most circumstances, it was inappropriate to beat someone else's child in the village.

Sometimes when kids argue with each other, the parents would slap their own children even if they blamed the cause on the other side in their hearts. It was a way of saving face and releasing anger.

The second uncle asked, "Shuishui, where did Little Ling go?"

A person there sensed disaster looming high above them, so they snuck away to call Lin Miao's father.

In everyone's eyes, they didn't think Lin Miao was capable of much.

Lin Miao's heart was beating rapidly, even faster than her heart rate at international competitions. However, she had to remain calm, or at least act like she was.