37 ~ Teddy Bear

"Welcome back, Jovie."

The same woman from the other day smiles kindly at me and I shift uncomfortably in my seat, glancing at the clock.

It's 10:01 a.m. Which means I have 4 minutes till 10:05. Then I'll have 25 minutes till 10:30 but, I only have 11 sets of five minutes between now and 11. At 11, I'm free. I check the clock again, 10:02.

Jesus chr–

"I'm happy you came back." She continues.

"I'm not." I admit before catching myself.

"Why is that?" She asks.

"I..." my voice dies out and I shake the thoughts from my head. "Look, not to be rude but I don't even know your name and, if I'm being honest, I had no intention of learning it."

It's a bitch move but my therapist doesn't even bat an eye at my revelation. Instead, she crosses her legs and looks around the room for a few moments. Eventually, she sets her notepad down. "I need coffee, would you like some?"

Yes. I remain silent, watching as she heads to the table against the wall where a steaming coffee pot sits. My mouth waters as she pours herself a mug. The coffee pot broke last week so I've been relying on Jay for my caffeine at school.

She notices my stare and grabs a second mug, "Cream and sugar?"

"No cream." I sit straight up, realizing I cracked under a caffeine driven daze. "Um, unless it's oat milk. I'm allergic."

"I think I have some." She smiles, reaching in her fridge.

Checking my phone, I'm disappointed to learn it's only 10:10. Damn it. A mug appears in my line of vision and I accept it. "Thank you."

"No problem." She gives me an odd look and I realize I'm holding my cup out to my right. Somewhat embarrassed, I take a sip and she extends a tray of cookies. "Want one?"

"Are there eggs, flour or cinnamon in them?" I ask halfheartedly, ignoring the grumble my tummy lets out as I eye a double chocolate chip.

Her smile falters, "I'm not sure."

"Then I'll pass." I sip my coffee, the caffeine earning a smile from me.

Sitting down, she places the cookies away from me. "You seem to be allergic to some pretty serious things."

"There's more." I snort and she tilts her head. "I'm allergic to cinnamon, eggs, pollen, dairy, some artificial colors, flavorings and scents and nuts. I also have celiac disease so I have to stay away from gluten."

"That sounds..."

"Like a lot?" I offer. "It's only mildly dangerous."

"I'm sure it's not easy dealing with all of those things."

"It's fine." I shrug, taking another sip of coffee. "My friends do a really good job of watching out for me."

"How so?"

"They stay away from cologne that will bother me. They don't eat anything with peanut butter around me so I won't die. They keep Benadryl with them. Aspen even–" My chest tightens but her eyes encourage me to go on. "Aspen does the most. He tries all of my food before I eat it. Double checks my coffee. Keeps my rash ointment on him at all times."

"That's a lot." She observes. "Why does he do so much for you?"

"He's my best friend." I whisper, grabbing my necklace. "He'll always protect me."

"Those are some friends." She sits back.

"They're the best." A grin breaks out on my face.

"What are their names?"