34 ~ Amelia

"Jo." There's a knock on my door.

Looking up from my phone, I call for Jay to come in. Closing my door, he whistles at the pile of suitcases. "I take it you guys are packed and ready to go."

"Mom went through everything three times." I snort. "That's everything we'll possibly need plus some." Even if we're hungover, there will be no forgetting anything.

Nodding, he rests on the edge of my bed. "I think this weekend will be good for you. A little break from life is what you need."

If only it were that easy. Standing up, I run a straightener through my hair. It's my party, I suppose I should look nice. I change into a yellow sweater and ripped black jeans. Swiping my hair over, I slather makeup all over my face.

Jay watches me from his spot as I fidget in the mirror and I groan. That look means business. "Go ahead and say it."

"Why are you letting Beau do this?" He asks. "Why is he stepping foot in your house?"

"Because he was invited." I fixate on applying my lipgloss.

"Why?" He demands. "He's a piece of shit, Jovie. He shouldn't be allowed anywhere near you. He should have his teeth kicked in and a broken nose. He shouldn't be sitting with us at lunch and acting like he's our friend."

"I know." I whisper.

"Then answer my question."

"Because I cheated on him." I whirl around. "I cheated on him. That's disgusting. Imagine what my family would say. Sweet, innocent Jovie finally showed her true colors. Just like her father. He was a cheater too."

Mom never admitted it but we heard the arguments. We smelled the perfume on him when he returned home after vanishing for days. We saw the text messages.

"You are nothing like him." He reminds me gently, but he doesn't know the half of it. "No one would think that."

I do. Gentry would. He hates our father with a burning passion. He already thinks I act like him. This would seal the deal. He wouldn't be willing to defend my honor if he knew my crime.

"No, but it would solidify Peyton's belief that I'm nothing more than a slut." I cross my arms. "Definitely couldn't keep my focus on one guy, could I?"

She was right all along.

"Jo, none of that matters. What matters is you protecting yourself." He hugs me.

"I'm fine." I offer, staring into the mirror. He tries to protest but the doorbell rings. "Party's starting."

Going downstairs, I'm surprised that the doorbell rings again. My friends usually walk right on in.  Even Beau doesn't have the common decency to wait outside. Opening the door, I come face to face with a tall, skinny blonde.

"Hi, babyca-" She holds her arms out before stopping. "Oh."

"Can I help you?" I ask, eyeing her and the suitcase on my front porch.

Peeking her head around me, she smiles bashfully. "Beau Ellington doesn't live here, does he?"

A wave of shock washes over me. No fucking way. "You must be Amelia."

"Yes." She flashes a beauty queen smile. I was right. She's even prettier in person. "Does Beau live here?"

My words get stuck in my throat but I manage to shake my head. "Next door."

"Thank you." She waves, making a mad dash for the neighboring house. Somehow managing to look athletic while running in five-inch booties.

Watching her, I don't flinch as Gentry joins me. "You've got to be shitting me."