21 ~ Foreplay

"Good morning."

"Morning." I yawn, leaning my head back against the seat as I buckle in my seatbelt.

Gentry slaps the back window and Aspen begins the drive towards school. It's Monday and I'm not even upset about it. Too tired to care.

"What has you so tired, Sunshine?" Aspen asks, poking my cheek.

"Beau and I talked on FaceTime till 3 a.m." I yawn again.

"Did you have coffee?"

"Yeah, too tired for caffeine to work." My eyes begin to fall shut and suddenly music blares from the speakers. Jolting awake, I hiss in pain as my knee collides with the dashboard. "You're an ass."

He laughs, turning the music back down. "I figured that would wake you up."

Rubbing the sleep out of my eyes while AC/DC serenades me, I notice flowers in the middle seat. "What are these for?"

Suddenly he becomes very transfixed by the road. "Well, you know it was Thanksgiving last week and it's um... it's been four years since Thanksgiving break our freshman year, so with the days mixing up today is my three-year anniversary with Meredith."

"Oh, has it been three years already?" I wonder. Who would've thought it could feel like such a short and long amount of time.

He grunts and I remember the deal we made.

Forcing a smile onto my face, I fix the wrapping around the flowers. "Happy anniversary, Penny."

He mumbles a thanks and I decide that if I'm gonna be supportive, I better prove it. "Why don't you take Mere home today."

"But how would you guys get home?" He immediately asks.

"Seth just started driving and he has room for all the boys, and I have Peyton. We need a good girls day." That's the truth. "You don't need to worry about us. Take your girlfriend for a picnic in the park or a nice dinner. Make her laugh. Three years is an impressive milestone."

Four years has felt like an eternity in hell but my hate for her won't ruin our deal. Support them, even if it feels like supporting Hitler.

Giving me a suspicious glance, he relents. "There is a new ramen place she wanted to try, and she loves that spot by the lake."

"Sounds perfect." I nod before cranking up the AC/DC. Fittingly enough, "Highway to Hell" blares through the speakers.

*****

Sitting in study hall with my friends, I tell Houston and Garner to mind their own business when they ask where Aspen is. We all know, but we shouldn't interrupt him.

Beau smiles as I squeeze his hand and he tugs in my hair. "Do you want to get coffee after school?"

"I'd love to but I'm spending some girl time with Peyton." I missed my best friend.

They guys all share a look, waiting for his reaction and I mentally punch them all. Beau is not a baby. "That's cool, just promise me we can talk again tonight."

"Of course." I grin.

Finishing my stats homework, I snap a picture and send it to Aspen, so he doesn't have to ask me for it.

"Jo, I need geometry help." Seth whines and I ruffle his hair as the bell rings.

"The lunch table is waiting for us, kid." I pack up and let him drag me to the cafeteria.

Working step-by-step through a few problems, I leave Seth to try a few on his own and steal a carrot from Peyton's lunch.

"I'm just saying, Heather Smith is the better option." AJ says.