33 ~ Eighteen

There are somedays I wish I could sleep through. Today is one of them.

Dragging myself out of bed, I double check to ensure my phone is silenced. The last thing I need is notifications disrupting my silence. Blindly, I plug my hair straightener in before stumbling into my closet.

Everything looks the same but I know mom will push if I don't dress the part. Settling on black jeans and a loose cream sweater. My hair fries as I run the straightener over it, but I keep going. On my last strand, I notice the purple marks under my eyes.

Reaching a finger out, I trace them. The bruises from Beau have faded but it appears I've given myself new ones. My door flies open and I jump up. "Happy–"

"Jesus Christ!" I scream as my knee rams against my dresser and the straightener burns my forehead. "Owe."

"Shit, I'm sorry, Jo." Garner runs forward, resting a hand on my back.

"It's fine." I move away. "Get out."

"But..." He looks at me with wide eyes.

"My face is burned and I need to put on makeup. I'll see you downstairs." I say, focusing on the new welt.

"Sure." He hesitates before closing my door.

10 minutes later, I drag myself into the kitchen. Immediately, I'm wrapped into a hug. "My Jovie girl!"

"Morning, Momma." I offer, patting her back as she lets go.

"Happy Birthday, Sis." Gentry hugs me softly.

"Happy Birthday, Gen." I sigh, resting my arms around him. At least we share this day.

"My twins." Mom says. "How are you already adults? It feels like just yesterday I was lugging my fat belly to the hospital to push you two out."

"Ew." Garner shudders.

"Thanks for the visual, Ma." Gentry hugs her. We definitely could've gone without it.

Laughing, she grabs two wrapped presents and hands them to us. "It's not much, but I hope you love them."

Gentry tears his open even though it's obvious she got him a bat. "Wow, just in time for season."

Removing the paper from my small box, I stare at a thin, gold butterfly bracelet. "It's... stunning."

"It's not new but I had it repaired and cleaned." She gently put the bracelet on my wrist. "It was given to me a long time ago by someone special and I want you to have it."

"Why?" I wonder, studying it in the light.

"Because I want you to remember you have wings and my biggest hope is that you use them to fly higher than I ever could." She cups my cheek. "I love you, darling. My only girl. My saving grace."

"Thanks." Gentry mutters and she shoves him.

"You're important too, but nothing beats my first born." She smiles fondly.

"By minutes." He argues but a horn honks. "Aspen's here."

"Jay should be here soon." I wave them off.

"Jay's not coming." Gentry says. "It's our birthday and we spend it together."

Pursing my lips, I grab my bag and follow them outside. The truck is waiting on us, balloons and streamers attached to the exterior. Lena loves to go big.

Without a word, I crawl into the middle seat. Ignoring the broken spring, I buckle up.

"Happy Birthday, my dude." Gentry leans over me to hug Aspen.