20 ~ Weird

Engagement parties are absolutely disgusting.

Everyone is drunk and in love and I'm left on the sideline because my boyfriend isn't here. I'd be absolutely miserable if it wasn't for the fact my family is full of people to dance with.

"My darling, Jo, I believe it's my turn to twirl you around." Gabe offers his hand and I take it, chuckling dryly as we find a spot on the dance floor.

I'm not sure how Drew and Manny pulled off such a nice venue on a grad student income, but this party is stunning. Plus, the food is divine. I've eaten three plates already.

"If I get sick, I'm throwing up on you." I warn him and he spins me around.

Smirking, he refrains from any more spins of death. We watch the crowd as we dance. Garner and Houston are huddled around the Rhodes twins and their cousin, undoubtedly planning something illegal if their hushed whispers are any indication. Aspen dances with Scarlett while Gentry tries to swindle a dance from Avery. Mom sits at a table with her sisters, Uncle John and Uncle Ricardo, a bright smile on her face as they laugh like there's no one else in the room.

I can't help but notice the two empty chairs they leave.

"Do you ever wonder?"

"Wonder what?" I ask Gabe, bringing my eyes back to his.

"Wonder what life would've been like if you lived here." He says. "If we got to build memories with you guys everyday instead of a few holidays here and there. If you got to be a part of this chaos."

"Just because we weren't here doesn't mean we weren't a part of it." I whisper, lowering my eyes to the ground.

"I know, Jo. It just sucks that one person ruined 17 years of potential memories." He seethes.

He has no idea how badly it sucks. He doesn't know the  half of what could've been. None of them do and none of them ever will. All of the holidays we used to sneak out to see the Jones' because we couldn't be with family. Hiding in my closet to call and sing happy birthday like it was some covert mission.

But, despite all the could've been's and what if's, I wouldn't change it. My friends back home are as much of a family as the people in this room. I love them just as deeply and fiercely as I love these people. I could never pick between AJ and Sage or Jay and Gabe.

They're all my people and all a part of my life.

"We're here now." I grin.

He nods, hugging me. "And I plan on annoying the hell out of you."

Laughing, I slap the back of his head. "I think you've already done that." But I'm not complaining.

*****

Hours later, my feet are crying, and my head and stomach can't handle a second more of spinning, I decided to find a quiet place to sit as my phone rings. Stepping into the hall, I answer.

"Hey, Boo."

"How's the party?" He asks.

"Exhausting, Gabe and Emmy turned spinning me into a game. Drew had to save me three times like the wonderful peacemaker he is." I still wonder how he's related to us. So sweet.

He laughs, sounding completely different from the Beau I know. "Sounds fun."

Raising an eyebrow, I listen to the background noise. People are talking and music is playing. "Boo, are you drinking?"

"Yuppers." He informs me. "One last night of fun with my pals before we return to reality."

Good, he's sedated and not the tiniest bit jealous tonight. Sometimes God is on my side. "Well then, you enjoy yourself and I'll talk to you tomorrow."