32 ~ Apple

"Jo, it's time for school."

Ignoring my twin, I study myself in the mirror. An oversized sweatshirt and leggings. The faint remains of the mark Beau left on my neck hidden by concealer. I look like I have nothing going for me. It matches how I feel.

New year. New semester of school. No new me. Just the same, disappointing Jovie.

Gentry knocks twice on my door before peaking his head in. "Mom made breakfast." Silently, I grab my bag and head for the door. He grabs my arm and I jump back. "Are you okay?"

"Fine." I force the word out, avoiding his eyes as I go downstairs.

The kitchen smells amazing. Bacon and pancakes cause my stomach to growl in hunger.

"Morning, Darling." Mom smiles, offering a plate.

"I'm not hungry." I mutter, kissing her cheek as I reach for an apple. I can stomach a couple bites of this.

My brothers share a look. Any other day, I would slap the back of their heads and tell them to knock it off. Any other day, I would have the energy to do so, but not today.

Stabbing my nails through the skin of my apple, I listen to the sound of forks scrapping against plates. The unsaid questions my family are dying to ask keep me occupied.

Gentry's phone gets a text and he stands up. "Aspen's here."

When I don't go to leave, Garner snaps his fingers in front of my face. "Earth to Jo."

"I'm getting a different ride to school." I move his hand away.

"With who?" Gentry snorts. "Beau?"

My heart rate picks up and juice leaks onto my hand as I suffocate my apple. "No, we broke up."

"What?" Garner demands, walking back into the house.

"When?" Gentry asks.

"Last week."

The genuine surprise that flashes across their faces makes me feel bad. I guess I could've mentioned it.

"Then who's picking you up?" Mom asks.

"Jay." I focus back on my apple.

The sound of fading footsteps and the closing door let me know my brothers have left. Beginning to relax, I tense when a hand rests on my shoulder. "Do you want to talk about Beau?"

"No." I gulp.

"What happened?" Mom pulls my hair out of my face.

"It-it was mutual." I stutter. "We both knew it wasn't working. No reason in beating a dead horse."

Risking a glance, I check to see if she buys my story. Pursing her lips together, she nods slowly. "If you're okay then I'm glad." I manage an awkward shoulder shrug. "You are?"

"Am what?"

"Okay." She states.

My tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth and I panic. Even my own mind won't let me lie to her. Before I can give in to my crumbling will, a horn blasts from outside. Jumping up, I grab my bag. "Jay's here. Love you. Bye."

Grabbing the door, I think I'm home free. "Jovie." Oh, no. "Please eat an apple."

"Jay brought breakfast." I lie, slamming the door shut behind me.

Running to the car, the sound of an engine starting pulls my attention. Without thinking, I look over to find Beau glaring at me from his jeep. Revving his engine. One second, I'm panicking. The next, my vision goes green as I faceplate into the ground.