16. Viaggio

My eyes dart nervously all around the screen, where a lot of red numbers keep changing places. I tightly grip the ends of my leather jacket and stop breathing. I try to keep my eyes away from the huge crowd of people swarming all around me. I have never been near a lot of people before, so it is very hard for me to contain myself. It’s almost impossible.

Over the enormous, loud swarm of humans I hear silent steps approaching me slowly. I turn around and come face to face with the person, who is responsible for this journey. He stops in front of me and hands me some kind of papers. He bows slightly and casts me a warm, delicate smile. I look down and observe the leaflet. Our flight takes off in a few minutes.

Alec comes closer and joins me in the queue. I tense up as more and more people approach us to board the same plane. Alec steps to my left and leans in closer to my ear.

“I most certainly realize how hard it is for you to control it. Don’t breath, try to avoid looking at them and stay close to me.” I chuckle lowly and look somewhere into the distance.

“Well, this is the first time in my immortal life that I got so close to a human and didn’t try to kill him.” I smirk as I hear Alec’s low, quiet laugh.

I step in front a little as the line starts moving. My body turns to stone as I feel more and more people surrounding us. Not breathing doesn’t help anymore as the smell fills my nostrils by itself and tingles my senses.

My hand flies to my nose with a gush of wind and I try to lock myself in my own little world. I notice that my actions started drawing too much attention. People look at me and my hard as rock stance and eye me suspiciously. I turn to Alec and find myself looking at his amused smile.

“This was a bad idea!” I hiss through my teeth. “Why can’t we just run there on foot? It would take just as much time and wouldn’t cost anything.” My silent, feisty whispering seems to bring a smile to my fellow traveler’s face.

“Why can’t we just have a calm trip?” He says tauntingly and we both step closer to the entrance of the plane.

“You might. I will have to control my every move. Besides, people are already eyeing my strange behavior.” I scowl sadly and suddenly feel a hand intertwine with mine. Alec steps closer and whispers in my ear.

“I believe they are looking at you, because they have never seen such a beautiful woman in front of their eyes.” I smirk at him and grip his hand tighter as we finally reach the entrance.

“Glad to know.” I chuckle.

“Besides, I am the one who’s wearing a strange coat.” Alec whispers, shows the tickets and we board the plane.

Fortunately, it seems that we will be sitting alone. The gentleman by my side gestures for me to sit near the window and I obey him. Alec claims his seat next to me and takes my hand into his. I smile at this small gesture and look into his, for now, brown eyes. I lean back into the chair and relax.

After a few minutes we are finally ready to take off. I tense a little as the doors of the plane close and prepare myself for a few tormenting hours ahead of me. This is going to be the most challenging thing I have ever experienced.

I close my eyes and stop breathing. Either way I still feel their every movement, hear every heartbeat as it pounds in their chest and echoes in my throat. I clench the seat handle tightly and dig my nails deeper into the nice material. I suppress the need to lung at the flight attendant who just walked right beside us and hear a slight crack. I look down. I broke the handle.

I feel a gentle touch and raise my eyes. Alec takes my hand and strokes it slightly sending relaxing waves through my body. I smile thankfully and concentrate only on him. Whenever he is with me it seems like the rest of the world doesn’t exist, like he is the only one around me and right now – this is what I desperately need.